Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noisy engine - head replacement - 2012-2014  (Read 2569 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Noisy engine - head replacement - 2012-2014
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »
This is a brief summary of the results of 3000++ postings originally posted here that led to the cylinder head replacement program on some first generation Triumph Tiger Explorers:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,3966.0.html

Symptoms
Increasing noise coming from the valve mechanism/cam area of the cylinder head in first generation Tiger Explorer models. At around 25,000+- miles, this could result in either loss of compression when the valve(s) no longer seat/seal correctly or sudden catastrophic engine failures when the head of a valve pops off and jams a piston, requiring a full engine rebuild.

Cause
Some early Gen1 TEXs were built with valve guides that were not made to factory hardness specifications. These soft valve guides wear quickly, resulting in valves leaning at an angle. As the wear progresses, the valve stem is put under increasing stress because it is only touching the seat on one side. Ultimately, the valve gets burned up causing loss of compression and/or a valve stem breaks, causing the valve head to pop off and jam the engine resulting in engine failure.

Models Affected
Gen1 TEX model years affected: 2012, 2013 and early 2014 (also some Trophy models - not documented here). TEX VIN numbers up to 602960 are possibly affected.

Remedy Under Warranty
Triumph never issued a recall notice for this problem. Triumph did issue a series of Service Bulletins which could trigger a no-cost cylinder head replacement while the bike was still under regular warranty coverage. Dealers were required to report symptoms of noisy valve trains to Triumph corporate, who would then authorize a no-cost cylinder head replacement.

Service Bulletin
Service Bulletin number 474 issue number 144 dated April 2013

Remedy Out Of Warranty
Triumph corporate has, on occasion, provide parts for head replacement or engine rebuild out of warranty at no cost, IF there is a history of service at an authorized Triumph dealership, and IF your Triumph dealership can be convinced to pursue the issue with Triumph corporate. This 'goodwill' warranty has also been extended to second owners of first-generation TEXs. There are a number of successful cases that are documented on this forum. The caveat is that most dealerships will claim that they have never heard of this issue. It may take some insistence by the owner to get this consideration from Triumph. Also, the labor costs for a full engine rebuild can be approximately US$2600+-

Many of these bikes are still on the road and are being traded in on newer models or sold privately. Some are just reaching the 25k miles mark and have not had the cylinder head replacement.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:46:11 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Triumvirate

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wenatchee Washington
Re: Noisy engine - head replacement - 2012-2014
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
Thank you for that posting, I think it will help a lot of people. Looks like you put in quite a bit of time on that to get the details right.  I had my dealership in Spokane repair my 2013 with no problem at all.  They made a lifetime Triumph customer out of me.  For others having problems with their dealerships I would suggest sugar first, rather than vinegar.

Offline tigercraig

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 13' Explorer
  • City / Town: Amelia, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »
This is a great synopsis.   I have had no luck getting a dealer to get this done for me.   Cincinnati dealer is going to have the Truimph Rep listen to my bike next time they are at his delership.   Manager sounds like he wants to go to bat for me.   In the mean time, my 2013 runs great at 22,000 miles.   However, the synopsis speaks of 25,000 mile as the possible trouble zone.  This situation has not dampened my Triumph experience.   Love the bike, and what happens, happens. 
tigercraig
Gone-84' V45 Honda Sabre, 97' R11RT, 06' ST1300,
Current-13' Tiger Explorer

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by tigercraig [+]
This is a great synopsis.   I have had no luck getting a dealer to get this done for me.   Cincinnati dealer is going to have the Truimph Rep listen to my bike next time they are at his delership.   Manager sounds like he wants to go to bat for me.   In the mean time, my 2013 runs great at 22,000 miles.   However, the synopsis speaks of 25,000 mile as the possible trouble zone.  This situation has not dampened my Triumph experience.   Love the bike, and what happens, happens.
I should emphasize that the mileage quoted (25k miles) is my own observation of what is typical, based on what I can remember of various posts over the years. I can tell you that my own 2013 TEX had the head replacement done at 500 miles, before I bought it (it was a dealer demo unit). YMMV.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline DeansZG

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: BMWK12LT
  • City / Town: 48195
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
Arriving late to the party.... Looking at a used '12 TEX w/ 56k miles.  Just from this forum, I'm guessing w/ the mileage that:

1: the head work was done
...or...
 2: the previous owner(s) got lucky w/ the build from the factory

is their a way to find out if the bike has had the headwork done?

BTW, here's the bike in question: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Triumph-TIGER-EXPLORER-ABS-5003497574

Is anyone here the previous owner?

Thanks for your time!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:27 PM »
A local Triumph dealership should be able to look up the bike's warranty records. Failing that, Triumph North America (headquartered in Atlanta GA - ph 678 854 2010) will be able to look up the records and confirm any warranty work done on the bike. I contacted them to confirm when my Gen1 TEX had its head replacement (including mileage and date).

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by DeansZG [+]
Arriving late to the party.... Looking at a used '12 TEX w/ 56k miles.  Just from this forum, I'm guessing w/ the mileage that:

1: the head work was done
...or...
 2: the previous owner(s) got lucky w/ the build from the factory

is their a way to find out if the bike has had the headwork done?

BTW, here's the bike in question: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Triumph-TIGER-EXPLORER-ABS-5003497574

Is anyone here the previous owner?

Thanks for your time!

I cant answer your question but I can say that the price on that bike is way too high. I bought a 2014 with 1100 miles on it for not much  more money 4 months ago...keep looking, you can do much much better than that one....

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I cant answer your question but I can say that the price on that bike is way too high. I bought a 2014 with 1100 miles on it for not much  more money 4 months ago...keep looking, you can do much much better than that one....
I asked the Admin to pin this post because it is a resource for people who are looking for concise info about the head replacement in Gen1 TEX models. Please discuss used bikes for sale in another topic. Thanks!  :001:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »
Thank you for your recap Cap'n.  :028: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Motojohnno

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Canberra
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »
I hesitate to prolong this topic but I'm keen to know if there have been any reports of cylinder head problems in 2013 Explorers OUTSIDE the reported VIN range (up to 602960). My TEx is an 8/13 build with VIN ending in 613***. I appreciate CaptainTrip's valuable work on this subject.

Recent Topics

nonskid