Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noisy engine - head replacement - 2012-2014  (Read 7639 times)

Offline fmgonz

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: CHANDLER
Re: Noisy engine - head replacement - 2012-2014
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »
I realize that the noisy engine (Cam bucket issue) has been reported in this forum at nauseum. That is how I learned about the service memo 144.

About 3 months ago, my 2013 TEX started shaking violently on the highway during the Phoenix rush hour. The engine had completely destroyed itself by implosion. Shredded valves and pistons throughout. Just turned 27k. My TEX was within the affected serial numbers.

My dealer submitted a request for a goodwill warranty. I was expecting a denial from Triumph. I submitted the records from two seperate dealers describing excessive engine noise over the years and both times the top end rebuild was denied. Also sent all copies of meticulous service records of the TEX history.

The damage was very extensive, as metal fragments had penetrated the clutch and transmission. In this case, a complete rebuild was not prudent. The good news is, Triumph accepted the goodwill warranty and sent a brand new engine in the crate across the pond. My dealer installed it at no cost to me, as Triumph covered it all.

I did not realize how noisy my "defective" motor was until I started running this new motor. I was very disappointed with Triumph for not fixing the original problem. Notwithstanding the potential danger it me in, I suppose they made up for it. I have been riding for 50 years, and I believe the TEX is one of the best designed bikes for all purpose riding. I am glad to have her back in top form.

In summary, I thought this story was worth telling.

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »
Glad it turned out alright.  :047:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by fmgonz [+]
I was very disappointed with Triumph for not fixing the original problem.
I had read somewhere that Triumph committed 3 million British Pounds to replace the heads on the gen1 bikes effected. But I will never understand why they did not make this a full recall. As you point out, an engine failure is a risk to the rider at any speed.

Glad that it worked out for you. And your story proves that owners of gen1 bikes can still get some consideration from Triumph -- if they are persistent.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 02:53:22 AM »
This is fantastic news, fmgonz. I'm not surprised, but it should encourage others to get their affected engines repaired. It simply amazes me how many individuals refuse to get their eligible heads replaced. :027:  Does Triumph still honor the additional 12 month engine warranty after replacement?
Jon

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »
This thread makes me happy for all of you... And sad for me.

I had TWO engine head broken on my TEX. I was tired of saying to dealer that there's a problem with valve metal, timing belts and engine head in general. Something is wrong in the engine head design of the 1200 engine.

Anyway, hope all you have this fixed. And hope Triumph learns.

Offline fmgonz

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: CHANDLER
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
Thanks gentlemen for all your comments, very much appreciated! As mentioned, persistence is paramount. The key is the willingness of your dealer to persevere. Phoenix Triumph really championed my effort. You must have a solid service history documented, as well as testimony from your service manager as to your care and maintenance of the bike. Although all turned out well, your own testimony as to the stress and danger you were subjected to is paramount.

Triumph's decision to grant me a goodwill warranty took over two weeks for them to reply. I suspect that their legal department was considering the additional costs of potential litigation based on very strong documentation that we submitted. I would like to go back to thinking that the company "Triumph" are just a bunch of nice guys, but that is not the world we live in. However, they do build one hell of a motorcycle. In the end, I do endorse them, as they did the right thing.

I do not believe that the replacement motor is under any new warranty, as I did not pay for it. I am sure I could probably purchase an extended warranty under the circumstances.

The consistent theme here is get your ducks in a row and be persistent! Feel free to reply as to any questions I can answer or be of any assistance. Thanks

Recent Topics

nonskid