Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TSAS, ABS & TC Failure Warnings  (Read 559 times)

Offline IronArse

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Keep on keepin' on!
  • Bike: Tex XRx '17
  • City / Town: Kilkenny
TSAS, ABS & TC Failure Warnings
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
Hey folks, happy new year to ye all, hope it's got some good things in store for everyone!  :031:

Got a query, has anyone had any problems with failure of ABS, TSAS & Traction Control at all?? I've a 2017 XRx 1200.

I started getting failures in all three a few months ago, and it's getting much more regular lately, every few days. Often when I turn on the bike I get a warning that my TSAS is in fault.

I don't know if they are actually shagged, or is it some minor warning coming through.
And I don't know how these 3 in fault mode affects the rest of the handling of the motorbike, as in how reliant is it on these 3 systems.

There is only 1 Triumph dealer in Ireland and they don't seem to give a  or reply to emails at all, so I don't know what to do/how worried I should be about this.

Just curious if anyone had similar issues at all, and was there much to fix it?

As ever, pints owed for any help folks!

Offline Britjunkie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
Re: TSAS, ABS & TC Failure Warnings
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
If it was me, i'd first disconnect the battery, find the ECU and unplug it. Then apply dielectric grease to the connection and plug it back in. See if that helps.

Offline mdicko72

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tex XRT / Tiger 955
  • City / Town: nottingham uk
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »
I had the same problem with my tsas system last week. 1st try putting it on the main stand and starting the engine. After a few seconds it should re calibrate the systems. Mine has been fine since then.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdicko72 [+]
I had the same problem with my tsas system last week. 1st try putting it on the main stand and starting the engine. After a few seconds it should re calibrate the systems. Mine has been fine since then.

Same with me (just after the dealer serviced the bike and updated my ECU, clocks and chassis maps) - TSAS "failure". As with mdick072, put bike on stand and left it ticking over for a few minutes to re-calibrate, and since then all has been well.

I've seen elsewhere on this forum that sometimes, "faults" can be caused by cutting the engine using the kill switch, rather than turning off by the key (or doing a quick start/stop of the engine). Not sure if that may be causing the issue?

Here's what the manual says, which is what I did and since then it's been good as gold (I know it's TSAS, but it does all calibrations as far as I know)

System Calibration
The TSAS system will recalibrate adjustment motors under the following conditions:
• If the battery has been disconnected for any reason.
• If a fault occurs with the TSAS system during normal operation.
The warning light will flash twice every second during system recalibration.

To allow the system to calibrate correctly, the following procedure must be adhered to:
• Turn the ignition on. Do not start the engine.
• Wait for the warning light to stop flashing indicating that adjustment motor calibration is complete.
• Start the engine. If the warning light resumes flashing. the adjustment motors are being recalibrated due to low battery voltage.
• Wait for the warning light to stop flashing before riding the motorcycle.
Failure to follow this procedure will cause the recalibration to be halted and the warning light to remain lit.
In this case the warning light will extinguish once the recalibration is next allowed to complete.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
I had the first warning message and did all of the reset procedures as described above, but ti kept coming back. I went to my local dealer who had the bike for a couple of hours. They initially said that they'd just plug it in and reset it - but the bike refused to reset. In the end they rang Triumph and with their help 'forced' a reset. All been perfect since then. Hopefully yours won't be as difficult.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 02:43:22 PM »
You are better off ringing Dublin Triumph if the procedures the guys mention don't work. There has been a few staff member changes there of late and no one may be reading your mails. They should be able to sort you out, you are probably still in warranty no? Same happened to my 2018 Gen 3, I couldn't correct myself and had to get them to reset (at no charge).

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
There is a thin wire connected to the lower section of the rear shock absorber. It runs quite close to the middle section of the exhaust header and can be heat damaged. I had the exact same intermittent problem on my Gen 2 XRT during a 10 day trip across Europe last year. My Triumph dealer replaced the wire to fix my problem. The wire cost about £15. Worth you checking this as a possible cause.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline G-Dub

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 17 Triumph XRx
  • City / Town: Bakersfield CA.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
I had a similar problem with my 17 and like yours it was getting worse as time went on. Drove the techs crazy trying to find the problem. Long story short mine was being caused by a loose ground wire which comes out of the main wiring harness and attaches to a stud on top of the motor. Apparently it wasn't torqued to proper specs during assembly and was slowly working its way loose. It started like yours but eventually caused other warning lights to act up as well like the battery light, service wrench etc to activate even though everything was working. You will have to remove the tank and follow the main wiring harness along the frame to the front of the motor. There you will find the ground wire coming out of the harness. Mine was apparently buried under the harness but do a little digging and you'll be able to find its mounting point. Mine took three full turns of the socket wrench to tighten to spec.

Greg

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
the bike refused to reset. In the end they rang Triumph and with their help 'forced' a reset.
I love it.
I just love it.

Anyone out there really knowing how this whole system works?

)c8

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I love it.
I just love it.

Anyone out there really knowing how this whole system works?

)c8

:745: :745: :745: It's funnier when you say it  :745:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics