Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shinko 705 turn in  (Read 376 times)

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beaumont, Ca.
Shinko 705 turn in
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
The XRT is back on the road (pothole). And I have 2 new Shinko 705's mounted.  The fall into the turn with these is crazy (too good). I have to counter steer the opposite way of my turn just to hold the desired line. I'm starting to get used to it, but it's a little bit unnerving!!  Anybody else experience this with the 705??  The good news is I'm guessing as the crown wears down it should start handling more conventionally.

Larry

So to be clear.... I push left to go left (counter steer) and then it just seems to fall into the turn until I end up pushing right to either hold the line or straighten out.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: Shinko 705 turn in
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:51:29 PM »
I'm on my second set of 705s and haven't noticed that at all. Of course here in SW Iowa our roads are pretty much straight. (Think square mile sections...) What are you running for air pressure? I've found I need to run a bit higher than normal in the Shinkos and actually run 42 front & 40 rear. I've got around 9K miles on the current front and only have around 1,500 on this rear. The front still has 8/32" and is wearing straight & true. I used to air down when riding on gravel, but they tended to get a bit squirrely, so now I just leave them aired up all the time. :028:
Jon

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beaumont, Ca.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:00 PM »
Jon,

It appears I'm just a couple of pounds down from what you run. Strange feeling to be sure.

Larry

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:54:01 AM »
I’m running the 705s as well. I contacted Shinko about the psi and they said to run them at 41 each. This is the max psi for the tire.

They have been running well for me. The front has almost 12k and there is just shy of 8/32 tread remaining. The rear is at 9k and has 4/32 and is a but squared off due to mostly highway miles. 

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
I’m running the 705s as well. I contacted Shinko about the psi and they said to run them at 41 each. This is the max psi for the tire.

I'm surprised that Shinko told you that 41 PSI is the max for each tire. Both sizes are stamped for their load capacity @ 42 PSI cold, on the side of each tire...

Either way, they're fantastic tires for the price! :028:
Jon

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:35 AM »
I am wrong in the 41psi. I went back to my email and read it again. This is the reply from Shinko.

“Shinko recommends that you run the pressure that is listed on the sidewall of the tire and never more than 5 psi below that number for rider comfort when on the road. You can drop the air pressure off road for better traction but should be inflated back to the psi listed on the sidewall before running on the road. Decreased pressure as you likely know, increases the friction on the road resulting in an increased running temperature for the tire. This increased temp is the largest contributor to shortened lifespan on tires along with most other issues people have with motorcycle tires. Following Shinko's air pressure recommendation will provide the best ride, performance and tread life.

We appreciate you using Shinko Tires.”

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
I am wrong in the 41psi. I went back to my email and read it again. This is the reply from Shinko.

“Shinko recommends that you run the pressure that is listed on the sidewall of the tire and never more than 5 psi below that number for rider comfort when on the road. You can drop the air pressure off road for better traction but should be inflated back to the psi listed on the sidewall before running on the road. Decreased pressure as you likely know, increases the friction on the road resulting in an increased running temperature for the tire. This increased temp is the largest contributor to shortened lifespan on tires along with most other issues people have with motorcycle tires. Following Shinko's air pressure recommendation will provide the best ride, performance and tread life.

We appreciate you using Shinko Tires.”

:028: :821:
Jon

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »
I always thought psi was more tied to bike weight.  I went through two sets of 705s. Never again.  I paid more for k76s and huge difference with everything. Better tires cost more. Buy cheap get cheap.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
I always thought psi was more tied to bike weight.

Partly that. It also depends on sidewall rigidity, particularly for off-road tyres, or historically the change from cross-ply to radials on cars. Other factors are comfort (lower is better), grip (lower pressure gives better grip but slower handling), heat build-up (hence a track bike might run the rear as low as 25psi cold pressures). Or if you own a Hesketh, just the need to stop the rivets holding the two halves of your Astralite wheels unzipping down the centre-line requires that you stay below 30psi!

But yes, it's unusual to base it mainly on the tyre rather than the bike it is fitted to.

Recent Topics