Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service recommendations  (Read 1638 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Service recommendations
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:44:22 AM »
No. The engine needs to be cool when you check the valves, but given the length of time it takes to strip the tank and gubbins off, that's not going to be a problem!

Offline expressshaftie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Monmouth
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Not as simple as it seems!  Ringing around some other (official) dealers include brake and coolant charges, others don't.  All include valve clearance check but prices for replacing shims vary from £70 extra to £200 (2 hrs labour sir at £82/hr). Most expensive so far including shim adjust is over £1000.   4 years ago i could get a Jag XF (long gone!)serviced for half that!  Need to sit down and crunch all the numbers also taking into account distance etc.  The joys of modern bike ownership!

Offline expressshaftie

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Monmouth
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 01:56:59 PM »
Has anybody got any experience of Bulldog Triumph in Wokingham, Berks for their servicing? 
They've come back with a competitive quote  (£660 incl coolant and brake fluid changes but valve shim changes would be extra) and all allegedly to the Triumph Schedule  so I could be interested in this.  My brother lives up that way and I could perhaps  get a visit to him and a service at the same time.

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
I am in the same boat, 2016
XRX with 20k on the clock. Since the bike is worth around £6.5k trade in to spend another £800 on servicing to keep with the "Triumph" FFS really gets me going. :232:

I am sorely tempted just to get the shims done by the stealer and do all the rest myself or when and as it needs it.

For the record Muddy Sump is fully booked up to the end of August 2019.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:37:24 PM by russ999rocket »
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline Scoby

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: White Tex
  • City / Town: Wexford
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
No. The engine needs to be cool when you check the valves, but given the length of time it takes to strip the tank and gubbins off, that's not going to be a problem!

Thanks Unsubtle, that opens some options for me.

Recent Topics

nonskid