Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken Front Left Frame By The Engine Mount  (Read 737 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Broken Front Left Frame By The Engine Mount
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 06:32:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by flaldrider [+]
I have never dropped the bike as yet so why the frame tube broke is a mystery. I had not thought about the mounting of the for the tip over bars potentially causing a frame damage issue so this may be something to consider in the future on the replacement bike
When I installed the Givi engine guards on my gen1 TEX, the first set that I received was warped. I could have bent bars to align them, but decided to return them as defective. The second set that I got was OK. I expect that the first set would have put additional load on the frame at the same location as yours but on the righthand side.

The other thing to consider is engine vibration. Some folks have reported that the SW Motech upper engine guards picked up engine vibrations and magnified them like a tuning fork. Maybe that was the issue on your bike.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »
Fab mileage - at least you got your moneys worth. Best of luck in getting a good replacement  :002:

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
Looking for a nice Explorer replacement as we converse.
Mikie

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
Nik,

Not really
I know!
I was just throwing in a classical anti-American stereotype in the hope that Icy would catch it ;-)

I'm completely with you on the specific case: considering the age and wear of the bike (which is quite an achievement BTW), repairing frame and head clearly is unjustifiable from an economical point of view.
I know first hand how hard it can be to make such a decision. When my beloved '97 Steamer broke its timing chain tensioner (at 80k km), I had to be reasonable and go buy another bike. I never regreted this move, but I'm still missing the good old carbed triple...

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by flaldrider [+]
Looking for a nice Explorer replacement as we converse.
Wishing you the best of luck in finding the perfect replacement and at least as many kms (sorry, miles ;-) as your now defunct Tex!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
When I installed the Givi engine guards on my gen1 TEX, the first set that I received was warped. I could have bent bars to align them, but decided to return them as defective. The second set that I got was OK. I expect that the first set would have put additional load on the frame at the same location as yours but on the righthand side.

The other thing to consider is engine vibration. Some folks have reported that the SW Motech upper engine guards picked up engine vibrations and magnified them like a tuning fork. Maybe that was the issue on your bike.
As ever, Cap has it right on the hypothesis. Considering the weight and stiffness of most crashbars, their installation must absolutely be performed with caution!
Still, unless I'm mistaken, this case is the first one on here. Which would indicate frame failures to be really rare.

One last thing (Steve Jobs moment ;-): having the engine inside the frame, thus participating in the whole rigidity is definitely a good architecture decision. I'm convinced that such a frame problem would have more immediate consequences on a suspended engine bike (unless said bike frame is extremely strong, like on Mrs NiK's '87 VFR which withstood hundreds of thousands of (fast) kms without any trouble).

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
Nik/ Capt Trips
Yes, I've seen a few designs of crash bars that make me wince just looking at them, a lot of designs look like they should offer greater protection by covering more of the bike, but in a crash they provide longer leverage forces to where they attach and on fitting, unless they fit easily and are straight and true they will add additional stress to the frame, much the same goes for pannier frame installation, though not as critical fitting to the rear subframe maybe.

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Online isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Initially, I thought about recommending a low mileage engine swap, but I think the replacement suggestion is more sensible given the miles on all the other wear components (congratulations, btw!)
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »
The other issue to consider is that there are slack adjusters that are built into the engine mounts on the right-hand side of the bike. I think that their purpose is to take up any slack in the gap between engine and frame to prevent stressing the frame when the engine mount bolts are torqued up. I have not changed mine, but if these were not set up properly, they could result in extra stress on the frame.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The other issue to consider is that there are slack adjusters that are built into the engine mounts on the right-hand side of the bike. I think that their purpose is to take up any slack in the gap between engine and frame to prevent stressing the frame when the engine mount bolts are torqued up. I have not changed mine, but if these were not set up properly, they could result in extra stress on the frame.

Good point. One wonders if this was a vibey motor also. It could be a combination of a poorly fitting crashbar +vibes+ poorly adjusted slack adjusters. I rode two 2016 V Strom 1000's recently. One had OEM crashbars, the other had Touratech crashbars. The TT bike vibed more at 5500 rpm and it could be clearly felt thru the bars. It was clear that the resonance at 5500rpm was exacerbated by the TT bars. I remember that my former Explorer had an annoying vibe patch also at 4500rpm from memory. 

Recent Topics