Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: insurance post no deal brexit  (Read 958 times)

Offline ga.chuck

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger explorer
  • City / Town: gloucester
insurance post no deal brexit
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
Hi all in UK, anyone else been contacted by their insce company to say they need a green card in the No Deal scenario. My company will issue free but need 14 days notice
Graham

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: insurance post no deal brexit
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Not so far.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
Nope - just re-insured mine with Hastings and not a mention of post Brexit at all! 

Offline Pomegranate

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Dorset
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
I think that it depends if uk leaves with or without a deal. If we leave with a deal I think nothing changes for a couple of years whilst it’s all worked out. If we leave without a deal then you will need a green card from your insurance company for the countries you’re going to and also International Driving Permits. As far as I can work out there are two different types of permit depending which EU countries you plan to visit. I presume you’ll get them from the post office or maybe DVLA? There is some information on Government website.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
Some are warning of such, but since nobody knows what the hell's going on, none of the insurance companies are likely to formally speculate.

Almost certainly if No Deal, by accident or deliberate incompetence goes through then expect to need a green card or similar, reciprocal breakdown to go out of the window and increased premiums for a variety of reasons.

Health insurance will also be adversely affected.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Health insurance will also be adversely affected.

Why???, the benefit we get from having the EHIC card is minimal in other countries as it only entitles you to what that countries citizens get for free which is a lot less than our NHS offers to other EU citizens.
Most UK travel insurance policies will not pay out for what it covers and require you to have one. If it is null an void then insurance companies wont be able to use it to cover part of the claim.
Of course that may affect future premiums
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »
No, but here's something that might interest you.

I bought TWO international driving licences for my upcoming trips.

One for Albania, Macedonia, Italy, France, Greece, Croatia (one year for £6.50).

One for Spain (£6.50 for three years).

Post Office. Passport photo required for both.

But i have annual travel insurance anyway, from Aviva, that covers me, wife and two sons, covering winter sports. Getting medevac home with a broken leg is defo not covered by EHIC.

Thanks for the tip about green card, tho. Will investigate.

Still, blue passports, eh?
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
Why???

Because the EHIC is an EEA (European Economic Area) scheme. The EEA consists of EU members, plus EFTA (European Free Trade Agreement) states Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. When the UK leaves the EU, by default it also leaves the EEA since it is no longer an EU member, and therefore cannot use any schemes, benefits etc of the EEA.

The UK could ask to join EFTA after leaving, but it would be bound by trading rules that the government has said it no longer wants to be bound by because of the way it has interpreted the Brexit vote (though it never asked the public about that part). It would also need agreement by a lot of other states, and at least one (Norway) has expressed reservations at letting an economy the size of the UK's become part of EFTA because it could radically shift the balance of the agreement.

At least that's my understanding.

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nutter [+]
Because the EHIC is an EEA (European Economic Area) scheme. The EEA consists of EU members, plus EFTA (European Free Trade Agreement) states Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. When the UK leaves the EU, by default it also leaves the EEA since it is no longer an EU member, and therefore cannot use any schemes, benefits etc of the EEA.

The UK could ask to join EFTA after leaving, but it would be bound by trading rules that the government has said it no longer wants to be bound by because of the way it has interpreted the Brexit vote (though it never asked the public about that part). It would also need agreement by a lot of other states, and at least one (Norway) has expressed reservations at letting an economy the size of the UK's become part of EFTA because it could radically shift the balance of the agreement.

At least that's my understanding.

As I said in my answer, the cover we get abroad under the ehic card is far less than eu visitors get from our NHS and will just mean insurance companies cover the whole claim as they did before the card came in and not using the ehic as a cop out to paying a claim
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline onthemayside

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Honda Varadero
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
Insurance for driving in Europe is a real grey area regardless of us in or when we leave the EEEEEUUUUUU. Most motor policies cover you for 90 days driving abroad but that is at your level of cover, after 90 days you are covered at a more basic level.  Basically you are always covered to drive in Europe. Everyone should contact their HIGHWAYMEN brokers and find out about this. I know basic cover won't suit people driving £50k mobile homes and such but it is one of the unknowns of the worldwide insurance market.

Recent Topics