Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
Worth considering I suppose, but I'd much rather fix a problem than fudge the issue. It's like having a wife who snores. You can wear ear plugs or shoot her.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
It's like having a wife who snores. You can wear ear plugs or shoot her.
Oh... dear...   :155:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
Worth considering I suppose, but I'd much rather fix a problem than fudge the issue. It's like having a wife who snores. You can wear ear plugs or shoot her.

Hey! In our family I am the one who snores and wife's the one wearing ear plugs! I will not have a shooting spouse in bed! Earplugs it is - there is no or in there!!!  :192:
 :745:  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »
Sorry was that a bit extreme?  :164:

OK well, back to seats then ....

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
Sorry was that a bit extreme?  :164:
Well, as far as shooting people goes, its not everyday that a Brit sounds too extreme against Mercuns ;-)

(now let the "debate" begin ;-)

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:11 PM »
Gotta luv it! :047:
Jon

Offline Chaz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »
I love my bike but have to say, me and my heated seat don’t like each other, I just can’t do any distance without getting a sore ass. I have got to the stage I use my air hawk pad all the time now. But that was good to here I could get the seat modified and still keep the heating element. Need to look into that one.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
Well keep dialled in and I'll update as things move on. I'm not sending it off immediately - cash flow and all that, but I need to move on it pretty soon.

I've had a ride on the Gen 1 saddle and it does actually feel better than the Gen 2 but I need a longer ride to really know. But in any case, at least one of my seats needs to go to the stitcher.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 09:29:05 AM »
Quick update on the wiring front. Had time to play yesterday. It seems that there are 5 wires on the Gen 1 seat. Here's what I do know.
The back is earth - return. 12v applied to Red and Black makes the seat quite warm. 12 v applied to Orange and Black make it mildly warm. I ran out of hands at this point. There is no path between the white and grey wires which leads me to think that some how they are signal feeds to the handle bar illumination for heat setting 1 and 2. I don't think they'll be necessary.  I do believe that the current on the Gen 2 is controlled on the bike via an ECU of some sort rather then simply switching the elements in the seat. So, I can either wire it to fire mildly warm, or nice and toasty or I could Siamese the orange and black together and see if the bike will control the temperature via shifting the current. I only had a 2 amp bench supply but the seat was warm in seconds.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »
Minor thread resurrection here - dropped into Saddlecraft in South Shields this week to see Les. I took three saddles in with me and we looked at options.
I left him with a Gen 1 seat that I'd picked up. It's going to be re modelled and recovered, retaining the heating element which I will rewire to work with my Gen 2 bike.
I'm having the seat built up with a 1" gel section and better padding. Looking at the gel inserts from actual seats and the ones that they put in was interesting. The stuff they're putting in is what I'd call 'proper'.

That does mean that I have a genuine unused Gen 2 Triumph Comfort seat if there's any interest. I'll stick it on the foe sale section at some point.  It's not heated but adding heating in would actually be really simple now I've had a couple to bits.

Recent Topics