Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Richy58

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Groningen
Re: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
Ican ride for 2 hours on my Gen1 before my arris starts to ache ,saying that the heated can go a little longer than the stock,purely because of the effect of heat on muscle.I reckon the answer to a longer run without having to stop is  to eat more carbs.Alexis Texas never whines about it,just saying  :172: :008:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
I cannot vouch for her but can vouch for the new seat material on the Gen 3 (never ridden a Gen 1/2). My last 2016 bike was 90 minutes and a very sore bum but I will happily do a 10 hour ride on a Gen 3 Tiger 1200. Not saying it will be perfect but it is by far and away the comfiest bike I have ever owned.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
I'm very pleased to hear that. Perhaps they made some changes. But this is really about the difference between Gen 1 and 2. If we can find out what the differences are, if any, in the Gen 3 then let's add them. Are the part numbers different?

In the meantime, I have ordered a Gen 1 original heated seat and I'm going to try it on the 2 to see if straight off, it's actually any more comfortable. I'll then take a decision on whether I have it pulled apart and upgraded. Clearly I shall have to do a slice and splice with the wiring but that's not a problem. I'll post the wiring solution if that's the way I go in the end.

I did Germany on my Gen 1 and some were 300 mile days and I was fine. We're going again this year and currently the thought of 100 miles fills me with dread.  Some of this has to do with weight I am sure.  If you're 9 stones wet through then I doubt you compress the seat that much. But I'm not really a stranger to the pie shop and a self confessed hefty lad, but it doesn't change the fact that my old bike was comfortable and this one isn't.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »
Yes, sorry I'm a little off topic. I believe the Gen 3 was a completely new seat material design with a 3D mesh insert.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:12:02 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
Hi Stillwobbling

A while back I had the opportunity to go for a heated Russell Daylong seat for my Gen2 XRT but unfortunately it was wired for a Gen1 bike. The Gen1 wiring, connections and switching are way different and beyond the level of my electrical skills so I had to pass on it.

Be interesting to hear how you get on. Cheers

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
That's interesting, perhaps the incorporation of the mesh into the injected foam wasn't such a success. I tested a Gen 3 but didn't put the seat on as it was a warm day - but back then I was still riding my Gen 1 so  it wouldn't really occurred to me to have looked for any difference.

Yes the wiring is a little different, but I am sure I can get around that. Part of it is probably a signal to the dash display. I did take the Gen 2 seat and apply a bench top current to it and it warmed up, so it's no harder really than arranging power to it. Then I'll figure out what to do with any spare wires!

I was wondering if the original seat had two coils. One for low heat and both on for high heat. The new seat might be controlled in a different way by changing the current.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I cannot vouch for her but can vouch for the new seat material on the Gen 3 (never ridden a Gen 1/2). My last 2016 bike was 90 minutes and a very sore bum but I will happily do a 10 hour ride on a Gen 3 Tiger 1200. Not saying it will be perfect but it is by far and away the comfiest bike I have ever owned.
Don't think I could do 10 hours on my gen 3, but it is definitely a comfortable seat.  Probably the best stock seat I've had on a bike and definitely a huge step up on my previous gen 2.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
I really like my gen 3 seat also. But the heating function sucks

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Oh Nik, you must have a bigger problem, mine does light up te indicator on the dash on setting 1 and 2, it's just not super effective. If yours is greyed out I don't think it is switching on at all is it? Fuse 4 - 25A controls the heated seats, heated grips, rear socket and top box socket and/or check the dealer actually plugged it in (although I'm sure you probably already did).
The seat apparently switches on properly (I can cycle through the different levels) when the engine is not running (but doesn't heat up of course). As soon as the engine fires up, the icon greys out.
I instantly thought about Fuse 4, but every other accessory works.
I checked the connectors and everything seems normal. Soooo, either the seat itself is toast (pun intended), or... yes you guessed it: yet another software glitch!

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
I also find the heated grips disappointing on Gen3 compared to Gen1 and Gen2, Even in summer gloves can only just feel heat on highest level and lower settings are a waste of time!

Recent Topics

nonskid