Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)  (Read 2624 times)

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
Re: What I have learned about heated seats (Gen 1 v Gen 2)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
This post covers several areas which seem to effect people quite differently. I've had my Gen2 for 2 years now and I have to say I found the seat quite uncomfortable after an hour or so, especially if just cruising. I had my heated seats re-covered and re-shaped which has helped a lot. But the biggest comfort help has been the addition of special mesh covers from coolcovers.co.uk  Although a bit expensive they have made ALL the difference for comfort. I can now literally ride all day without butt discomfort. The mesh allows some air to circulate around your sensitive areas and under your butt cheeks as well as offering a little extra cushion. Does the heating still work you might ask? Well yes it does but of course it takes a bit longer for the heat to permeate through. Frankly for me comfort over heat any day. As others have noted, setting the front of the seat to the higher position also helps stop one sliding forward but this is less necessary with the cool covers fitted if height is a problem. As to the basic heat question, my Gen2 puts out all the heat I could want with the hotter setting being a bit too hot after awhile, but again the cool covers mitigate that problem too. That's my 2 pennies worth for what its worth.

Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
Well thank you for bringing this back on topic! It is supposed to be a thread about Gen 1 and 2 after all. Who covered your seat might we ask?

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »
On my 2017 XCA the heated seat is slow to heat up and does not get very warm. I did find that if I rode at a higher rpm the seat seemed to heat better. Perhaps more juice being created through the higher revs.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
I have wondered about that. But an alternator should kick out whatever current is demanded at not much more than tickover. I'm not sure what rating the alternator on the bike has. My 4x4 can put out 120 amps but it never gets even close to that. On a bike, once the battery is replenished heating the grips and seats shouldn't be an issue. However, I have found that sometimes, for no reason I can fathom the seat will suddenly get hot - as you describe. When I get chance I am going to see how many amps the seat actually draws and monitor it over a period of time. I guess something has to regulate its temperature. I'm not clear on how it works. It's possible that it goes though some sort of ECU / controller.  I don't have a wiring diagram

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
I have wondered about that. But an alternator should kick out whatever current is demanded at not much more than tickover.
Don't have heated seats, but I do notice a difference in heat output on my heated vest when revs pick up (Gen1 TEX).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Interesting. I do wonder if the regulator in the Tex alternator does need a few more revs to give full output when there's a lot running. Like I said, it shouldn't and I don't notice a change in the lights when I blip it from tickover. I'm running LED H4s now so I should be pulling considerably less current but I can't say I have noticed any difference in heat output.

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:33 AM »
I thought the heated seat on my 17 XCA seemed to work fine.  Of course this is the first heated seat on a motorcycle that I've had.  As for the comfort part, I have to agree.  This seat sucks after a few hours, which is why it's out in California getting reworked at Russell right now.  They are keeping the heated option. 

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by tiger885 [+]
This post covers several areas which seem to effect people quite differently. I've had my Gen2 for 2 years now and I have to say I found the seat quite uncomfortable after an hour or so, especially if just cruising. I had my heated seats re-covered and re-shaped which has helped a lot. But the biggest comfort help has been the addition of special mesh covers from coolcovers.co.uk  Although a bit expensive they have made ALL the difference for comfort. I can now literally ride all day without butt discomfort. The mesh allows some air to circulate around your sensitive areas and under your butt cheeks as well as offering a little extra cushion. Does the heating still work you might ask? Well yes it does but of course it takes a bit longer for the heat to permeate through. Frankly for me comfort over heat any day. As others have noted, setting the front of the seat to the higher position also helps stop one sliding forward but this is less necessary with the cool covers fitted if height is a problem. As to the basic heat question, my Gen2 puts out all the heat I could want with the hotter setting being a bit too hot after awhile, but again the cool covers mitigate that problem too. That's my 2 pennies worth for what its worth.

So, does installing the cover require removing the existing cover or does it slip on top of it, and if so how does it attach? 
Thx!
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »
Gen 1 seat arrived today. I shall start looking at the electrics. I suspect that the heating to the Gen 2 seat is controlled by current supply as there's only two wires (pos and neg) and the Gen 1 seat has 4 wires. Possibly to two separate heating coils. Who knows. Hopefully we will, soon enough. But given the choice between comfort and warmth, I'll take comfort every time and put another pair of frillies on under my riding trousers.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »
My previous bike, a 2016 Africa Twin, was so uncomfortable I used a gel pad and a pair of Moto-Skiveez for any journey more than a couple of hours. Since owning the T1200 I have dispensed with both. I will say if you are looking for more comfort on the Gen 1/2 I really rate the Moto-Skiveez, they used to give me an extra hour at least.

Recent Topics