Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keyless starting  (Read 1232 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Keyless starting
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
You list a 2017 XRT in your profile, I take it that is a typo yes?

Offline Cribby

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • City / Town: Blackwood
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Ahah!

I was placing the key a little higher up!!!

Thanks

Ant

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:29 PM »
just wondering in light of recent reports of a rising number keyless cars being nicked  whether there could be similar issues with the triumph system. Of course additional security should always be deployed  same as any key start bike but it could be a worry if you were stopped briefly, re fuelling  for example.

I've just invested in a good old fashioned steering wheel lock for my keyless Audi tin-top ...so much for progress!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »
Welcome to the digital world!

Yes, car thieves did change their modus operandi. And to much success.
Any signal can be sniffed (with a good directional antenna, you certainly can get our keyfob signal from afar), then reverse engineered. You just have then to forge your own cyphers and you're good to go.
You can even buy instant kits containing all the required tools to achieve this sequence. Complete with tutorial.

Just like Triumph being essentially unable to master their ECU's software, their suppliers are equally unable to master basic cyber security concepts. Therefore our brand new bikes probably are (or will soon be) much easier to steal than the previous ones.

Of course, more robust solutions do exist, but here are the main drivers to launch a new product and/or feature: time to market and cost.
I bet you guessed it: security doesn't fit in there.

And this prophecy of digital doom (my favorites ;-) applies equally to almost any "connected" object nowadays: auto car wash, safety cams, insuline pumps, cardiac pacemakers, and tomorrow (or the day after) the whole transhumanist craze.

Welcome to the digital world!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Back in the '80s, someone tried to steal my GL500i from behind our apartment (foiled by a neighbor who had just returned from the pub). The next day, I decided to investigate motorcycle alarms. Thinking that the local Harley D. dealer would likely have something, I visited and asked the parts guy if they sold motorcycle theft deterrence devices. His reply, "Sure. Did you want the 12 gauge model or the Doberman Pinscher model?"  :008:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline bloodboy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX Low
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »
Hi Cribby
Hope you got it to work, I've just done mine and they worked ok using the position in the photo.
I did note the handbook says only try one key with you at a time as they block each other out if you have two in close proximity.
Life is too short for plain biscuits.

Recent Topics