Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: REVIEWS  (Read 1841 times)

Offline MAX7367

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Amersham
REVIEWS
« on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
So Why Why Why

When ever i pick up a bike mag or my weekly bible.... MCN or what ever and I turn every page in anticipation for a bit of chat or pics or reviews of my trusty - strong - reliable - powerful - superbly built -  comfortable - well equipped - sturdy - superb handling -  British built - Easy on the eye  Triumph Explorer 1215  .....

There is sod all... maybe a smidge about the new TIGER

It's all about the bloody BMW ?

Is it me  :084:

Personally I think it's an awesome piece of engineering and the reason it's a bit heavier than the BMW is because.. its a MAN's bike.. a lot stronger and can take a decent low side not like the feather like prawn cracker delicateness of the BMW that bends when it falls over and cost a small mortgage to put right ..

Sorry , just venting frustration

Still love my steed  :001:

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »
Probably better ask Charley and Ewan.  I blame them entirely ... :164:

Well in fact, I guess it's really KTM's fault at the end of the day.  :084:

Offline MAX7367

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »
Nope

Not buying that  :084:

I think it's down to finances available for advertising ....

If you've got a massive massive financial back bone like BMW then you can afford to invest heavily into advertising magazine review etc... Do you get where im coming from ?

All im saying is : Don't believe everything you read !

The new BMW looks awesome with the high spec engine ... but .. when you buy one of those second hand in a few years time and its out of warranty and something goes belly up , then your gonna have to sell your whole family and your house and even the dog to pay for the repairs .

Think about it !

When you talk about 2 or 5 or 15 extra BHP does that really matter and does that make you think that you should trade in the bike you love and poss another 10 grand for something that's got so many toys on that you  will never use and will be outdated again in a year or so, and  : can you use it to its full

Food for thought  :084:     don't get yourself tied down with this Finance crap PCP it doesn't pan out in the end .... live within your means, buy the bike you can afford, love that thing !!!  and live your life without finance hanging over your head

sh#t

How OLD do I sound  :152:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
Maybe you haven't picked up enough magazines?

+ Ride Magazine - April-May 2018 - Showdown in Snowdonia (cover article) comparing Gen3 T12 with GS, Multistrada and KTM 1290 Super Adventure S (T12 rated equally good as GS).
+ Ride Magazine - November 2018 - Annual motorcycle games competition with Ride staff on long-term testers - one of which is a T12.

These are just two that I can think of off the top of my head.

BTW this topic was done a couple of months ago. Try searching.  :034:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:19:27 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
Quotations from Ride Magazine Snowdonia article - concluding remarks on all four bikes:

"On adrenaline, it's KTM, Ducati, Triumph, BMW... For touring, its the reverse."

"This is the closest test I've ever been on... it's genuinely a personal choice, not a professional one - because, professionally, I can't split them."

"...they're all so objectively good now that finding the best one has come down to which one works best for your subjective tastes."
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 12:05:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by MAX7367 [+]
I think it's down to finances available for advertising ....

Or maybe:

The obvious way to sell magazines is to praise the bikes that more people own or want to own

A) Editors want to sell magazines
B) Readers like to read praise about the bikes they own or want to own
C) BMW sell more bikes than Triumph

A+B+C = the editors fill the pages with articles that flatter readers egos by praising BMW to keep them buying the magazine & BMWs. Its a perpetual motion machine!

While BMW have a large % of press about adventure bikes, Triumph have a large %  of magazines content about their retro/classic bikes, HD have a similar grip on magazine articles about cruisers & Ducati do for high-end sports bikes.

And I hate to admit it but BMW GS are very good - but not to our liking!

Offline Upthepalace

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:51 PM »
Aren't MCN and most of the others owned by the Bauer Group?

Offline MAX7367

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:48:54 AM »
Now that wouldn't surprise me  :087:

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »
The largest circulating magazine in Germany is Motorrad, BMW always wins and there is never a comparison test without a BMW.  One trick BMW has is always to supply a bike fully loaded, they never give the basic model to the testers, whereas other manufacturers tend to give the testers that what just happens to be available.

BMW know how to react to the market and are always very quick to change their models in tune with the market, something the Japanese, especially Yamaha and Honda, dont seem to be able to do.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
My opinion is that marketing is marketing. Some do it well, some do it less well. All moto-journalists and publishers know that if they want to continue to be invited to the product launches in Spain, they need to write nice things about the big sellers. In 2013, BMW celebrated shipping its 500,000th GS. I would bet that their total GS production to date would rival Triumph's full production since Bloor reactivated Triumph. 

In the past couple of years, Triumph has focused on their twins with lifestyle advertising and a heavy push on Triumph apparel aimed at a younger generation. And that seems to be paying off for them. The Explorer/Tiger 1200 is aimed at a target market that is, frankly, aging out.

I don't know. IMO, these discussions always have a bit of an "inferiority complex" feel to them.

Recent Topics

nonskid