Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: REVIEWS  (Read 1946 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: REVIEWS
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
I like riding something a bit different, i don’t mind the “exclusivity” of the Explorer/T1200. As long as it continues to offer a great experience I don’t really care if BMW outsell in 30:1 (or whatever the ratio is). The bikes Achilles heel is the top heaviness as everyone knows but once you accept it as part of its character everything else is mainly fine.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I like riding something a bit different, i don’t mind the “exclusivity” of the Explorer/T1200. As long as it continues to offer a great experience I don’t really care if BMW outsell in 30:1 (or whatever the ratio is). The bikes Achilles heel is the top heaviness as everyone knows but once you accept it as part of its character everything else is mainly fine.
:0461: Exactly right.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
As someone who has owned several Alfa Romeo's and Saabs, I guess I fall into the "bit different" category as well.  I like my 2013 TEx, but still think I want an R1200RT someday. I keep looking at Trophies too, but can't seem to convince myself that I really should have one.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockitcity [+]
I keep looking at Trophies too, but can't seem to convince myself that I really should have one.
Me too. Since the Trophy was discontinued, I've seen a couple of very attractive deals on low mileage trade-in ones sitting in dealer showrooms. I think that you could probably get one for 50 cents on the dollar compared to an RT.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline MAX7367

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Amersham
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
Very very observant of you

That makes so much sense as do the other replies I have received, I guess end of the day we are all individuals which makes us human so what works for one may not work for another .

I love the Tiger I know its heavier than the BM but its tough and beautifully built with proper quality coatings and switches etc ..and I weigh in at 18 and a half so its not really an issue and im 6'5 so everything is comfy .

If this thing can hurl my heavy arse into the sunset at a rapid rate with no fuss and a stunning triple howl then im more than HAPPY   :046:

Thanks for all your replies

GRRRRRRRRRR

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 04:40:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
:0461: Exactly right.
+2
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
I read about the bias in the magazines all the time, although I never really thought much about it.

Out of curiosity, I just went through a few issues of Rider magazine, which is about the only one I ever read.

Over the 6 issues I spot checked, there were surprisingly few ads from the motorcycle manufacturers:

BMW: 1
Can-Am: 3 fFor the Ryker and Spyders)
Ducati: 0
Harley-Davidson: 1
Honda: 1
Kawasaki: 0
KTM: 4
Royal Enfield: 2
Suzuki: 1
Triumph: 0
Ural: 5
Yamaha: 5

It doesn't seem to me that Rider, at least, is benefiting from increased ad spending form the manufacturers- their reviews are overall generally favorable to whatever they test, although they do point out their perceived faults.

Over this span, they did full review on several BMWs, all positive.  Several Triumphs, all positive.  I think there were reviews of at least 5 Ducatis, all positive.

Despite 5 ads from Ural, there were no Urals reviewed.  A lot of Hondas, Harelys and Japanese makes were positively reviewed in that span, and not many ads.

This is hardly scientific, and maybe I need to look at more magazines,  but sometimes I think we see bias when there really isn't any (at least not as the result of ad money from the manufacturers).

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »
you can only get reviews from people who like the same bikes as you.  I look for the 6'3", 270#, 51 year-old white guys to do my reviews.  preferably if they have been riding for the last 30 years and never raced dirt bikes.

As far as road manners, BMW clobbers the rest.  It is a Cadillac on the road.  Nail-biting performance it is the KTM 1290 hands down.  The T falls somewhere in the middle.  jack of all trades-master of none.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline MAX7367

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Amersham
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »

Good review :305: this

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
Wonder if he actually rode it, or just played with the dash.  You can't tell from his 'review'.
-Hardly a technical review, we just know he liked it.

Recent Topics

nonskid