Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: This looks fun  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Re: This looks fun
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
 :028: ta

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
Kielder 500 drawing closer. Only 2 weeks to go. Entry list is closed and places all filled. 140 riders in all. I got the competitor list this week. Not that many Explorers on there but a few.

Didn't recognise any names but there were 3 other riders local to me. Anyone on here going? Camp site open from Friday 16.00

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
How did it go, Stillwobbling?

I'm signed up to the Wales 500.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
20 miles into a stage, I lost the front end in mud, flipped the bike got thrown into the trees. Bust me knee and the ankle I broke previously. Parts bill alone was £500.

I would say in all honesty, even for an more experienced rider than I, this event is not for bikes this size. The Tigga is the heaviest in its class and their suggestion that it can be done on road tyres is what I'd call slightly disingenuous. I have TKC70s on and they were new and even that didn't stop me losing traction. There were people flying around on enduro bikes on super knobblies. This is supposed to be for big adventure bikes. I'd do it again if I had a Huskie maybe or KTM. I love my Tex to bits, but anything more than a Scandinavian gravel road and I'd get off and push it. Some of the tracks were two ruts with a hump in the middle. You only needed to catch the edge of the green bit and you were off.

I tried it, great weekend, won't ever be doing it again on a bike this big. Even the GS Adventures were finding the ditches

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
 :012: Oh dear!

Hope you're on the end and no permanent damage to yourself.

I'm surprised there were people on enduros, because the organisers go to great lengths to say it's for big bikes only, there's a minimum weight, etc. Having just watched a couple of videos I also wonder whether the organisers did a recce in the dry and didn't account for how things would get in the wet, especially once churned up by tens of bikes. I've read that the Wales 500 is meant to be a bit easier than the Kielder, but in any case I now feel more confident in abandoning the ride if I get to the point where I feel too uncomfortable with it. I also read that on last year's Wales 500 there were a number of skills sections where you got penalty points for putting a foot down in slow manoeuvring etc. If I don't like the look of them I'll be quite happy to bypass them and take all the penalty points - I'm doing it for a bit of fun, not to win or get a medal so I don't care about points in the slightest.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
Sounds like a very sensible approach
They did a recce in the snow can you believe. Yes it was supposed to be for adventure bikes but people’s interpretation of that seemed quite varied

Recent Topics

nonskid