Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TEX swingarm swap  (Read 1139 times)

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
TEX swingarm swap
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
Any info out there regarding the swingarm dimensions of a 2013 Explorer and a late Trophy?...they look identical and it would be a cool mod to have a 17" 180 section tire on the rear plus a 17" front from the same trophy. Haters and doubters please apply here :001:
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: TEX swingarm swap
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »
I think maybe you only need swop the wheel not the swinging arm???
Someone on here did propose using a Trophy wheel for a better choice / size of tyre a few years ago.
I remember the idea generated some scepticism, but remember nothing of the actual outcome!
A thorough search of the forum should find the posts.

Online rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
Don't know for sure, but i recall reading somewhere that the Trophy has a longer swingarm. Also, I know on my Explorer there is not much clearance for a wider rear tire on the exhaust side.  Maybe the exhaust could be moved out or changed for more clearance.  Probably easier to just get a Trophy, they're cheap.  Maybe a Ducati Multi-strada or BMW S1000XR would be better suited if you are looking for a smaller diameter front tire for more spirited riding?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:49:23 AM »
From memory, the previous thread swapped a Trophy wheel in place of the Explorer wheel. The Trophy wheel is wider. The OP had to grind away some of the Explorer swing arm to get it to fit. But the wheel also ended up off-center from the centerline of the bike. That indicates that the Trophy swingarm is also wider relative to the Explorer swingarm. Plus I would guess that the final drive gear ratio might be different.

Short answer: it would probably be a can of worms.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:57 AM »
Another consideration if you decide to swap out the TEX 19" front wheel for the Trophy 17" is that the front end geometry is also different between the two bikes:

Trophy: Rake 27 degrees, Trail 119 mm
Explorer: Rake 23.9 degrees, Trail 105.5 mm

The point is that with the more aggressive steering geometry on the Explorer, the 17" wheel could change the handling characteristics of the TEX a lot.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The point is that with the more aggressive steering geometry on the Explorer, the 17" wheel could change the handling characteristics of the TEX a lot.
Or, how to turn a trailie tourer into a 300 kg Buell ;-)

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
Very interesting replies and i am grateful... The fact is i love my TEX so much i want it to be more road than off road friendly with say a pair of Diablo Rosso 3 :169:. I will have to look into this more as giving my bike a more supermoto look appeals to me :002:     

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by belpas [+]
Very interesting replies and i am grateful... The fact is i love my TEX so much i want it to be more road than off road friendly with say a pair of Diablo Rosso 3 :169:. I will have to look into this more as giving my bike a more supermoto look appeals to me :002:   
Keep in mind, also, that the smaller diameter 17" front wheel also shortens the already shorter trail, quickening the steering response even more. And with wider ADV handlebars a TEX would be that much more sensitive to steering inputs.

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]

Great ..thanks :016:

Recent Topics