Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor mph  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Re: Poor mph
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
Most of my riding on the Explorer is touring often two up. With top box and panniers. I stick to 75 to 85 on motorways at the most .I change gear round 4 or 5 thousand revs. I was use to the 180 miles to a tank but the big dorp off after taking out the lambda was a shock.140 150 to a tank is no good if I'm riding with mates . We tend to stop every hour or so and fill up every 2nd stop. But on my last trip to Spain I was having to pull the lads in early on our 2nd stint of riding and they still had 80 or more miles in the tank. We was all putting in the same 95 octane fuel so it was costing me a few euros more

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:36:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chris.p955 [+]
Most of my riding on the Explorer is touring often two up. With top box and panniers. I stick to 75 to 85 on motorways at the most .I change gear round 4 or 5 thousand revs. I was use to the 180 miles to a tank but the big dorp off after taking out the lambda was a shock.140 150 to a tank is no good if I'm riding with mates . We tend to stop every hour or so and fill up every 2nd stop. But on my last trip to Spain I was having to pull the lads in early on our 2nd stint of riding and they still had 80 or more miles in the tank. We was all putting in the same 95 octane fuel so it was costing me a few euros more

Why did you remove the 02 sensor? That has no doubt hurt your mileage as the bike is now  running open loop 100% of the time which means it is probably  running much richer than it has to.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
The GS would have been putting in higher RON fuel than you need. 

The GS runs on the same octane ratings as the Explorer, and I don't know why the myth that it needs something else keeps coming up on this forum. To quote myself from another thread (which was actually about the use of fuel with ethanol in it, but the info still stands)...

*Originally Posted by Nutter [+]
The only thing my Explorer manual said about fuel was "Your Triumph engine is designed to use unleaded fuel and will give optimum performance if the correct grade of fuel is used. Always use unleaded fuel with an octane rating of 91 RON or higher". It doesn't say anywhere not to use ethanol (E10) and I have used it many times without a problem, particularly when I was in the US and in some places it was either that or push it.

My GS manual says to use 91 to 95 RON (87-89 AKI) with up to 10% ethanol (E10). On that basis I really can't see much difference between the two on fuel requirements.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
I don't have a GS manual, but all my club GS (and other BMW) owners religiously put high octane fuel in their bike, ie higher than 91RON, which is our 'standard' fuel in Australia.
We don't have servos where you can only get ethanol-added fuel.  -Well... I haven't come across any.
I only use 91RON in my T1200.

(I'm a bit of a greenie, but I disagree with ethanol production from crops grown specifically for the purpose.  As a by-product is fine.  The future probably lies with bacterial digestion of waste materials.
 I don't use ethanol added fuel myself.)

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
I don't have a GS manual, but all my club GS (and other BMW) owners religiously put high octane fuel in their bike, ie higher than 91RON, which is our 'standard' fuel in Australia.

Well I guess that’s their choice just as you could choose to use the same in your Explorer if you wanted, but the manufacturer’s fuel requirements are the same for Tiger 1200 as they are for the R1200GS.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 10:41:49 PM »
Thought I'd do some research so as to be able to talk with some authority instead of repeating fake news...
So I downloaded the user manual for a 2017 R1200GS.
It clearly says fuel type is 95RON.  Get the ECU remapped for lower.

"Super unleaded (max. 10 % ethanol, E10)
95 ROZ/RON
89 AKI"

"Alternative fuel grade Refuelling
WARNING
Regular unleaded (Power- and consumption-related restrictions. If e.g. the engine is to be operated in countries with low fuel grades at 91 research octane number, then the motorcycle must first be
programmed appropriately at your authorised BMW motorcycle dealer.) (max. 10 % ethanol, E10)
91 ROZ/RON
87 AKI"

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 02:47:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Exhaust makes a difference. You might need to get that engine tuned to compensate for the exhaust. There are way more technically knowledgeable people on this forum to give you better information. But that's a big clue: An aftermarket can will change your fuel consumption drastically if the engine is not mapped for the new exhaust.
I bought the Arrow can for my Gen1 TEX. After doing the 12-minute tuneup I found a slight improvement in gas mileage vs. the OEM can.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
I'm with Icy on this one.
You removed the O2 sensor (to achieve what effect exactly?). It does reduce mileage.
You changed the air filter to a (probably) more "open" one. It changes engine running parameters.
You changed the exhaust. It also changes engine parameters.

The Explorer's ECU is supposed to adapt itself to such changes (but the O2 sensor, which I would put back in place asap).
However, depending on your exhaust and K&N, it might not achieve said adaption.

What I'd do:
1 - Put back the O2 sensor (and stop listening to anti-green advices, which surely are not better than tree huggers').
2 - Run the 12 minutes adaption routine (i.e. start the engine without touching the throttle, then let it idle without touching anything for at least 12 mn, then, when the radiator fan switches off, stop the engine without touching the throttle).
3 - Make another set of mileage measures.

Additionally, I'd have a look and smell at the exhaust fumes (not in a confined environment of course). When the engine is at nominal running temperature, there should be no visible smoke at all, nor any unburnt petrol smell.

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Run the 12 minutes adaption routine (i.e. start the engine without touching the throttle, then let it idle without touching anything for at least 12 mn, then, when the radiator fan switches off, stop the engine without touching the throttle).

*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
The "12 minute tune-up" tells the bike to forget its previous adaptation and start again. To do it, start the bike without touching the throttle, wait until the fan comes on, then let it run for 12 minutes still without touching the throttle.

2 different methods, which is the correct one?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »
I once tried the second one with no success, hence my personal modification consisting in waiting for the end of a cooling cycle ;-)

Recent Topics