Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor mph  (Read 3403 times)

Offline oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
Re: Poor mph
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »
I'll echo everyone else--Why did you remove the O2 sensor? Without it, your ECU is unable to adjust the fuel/air mixture.

I noticed a significant ~10% improvement in mileage when I swapped from the stock can to a Yoshimura. Although I would expect less of a difference with an Arrow can as it's still a factory muffler.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:16:02 PM by oxidefilm »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 05:15:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Regi T [+]
2 different methods, which is the correct one?
Start the engine from cold without touching the throttle. Allow it to idle until it heats up enough that the radiator cooling fan comes on (don't touch the throttle). Now, start the timing and wait for 12 minutes (don't touch the throttle). When 12 minutes have elapsed (probably several cooling cycles) turn off the key without touching the throttle.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Start the engine from cold without touching the throttle. Allow it to idle until it heats up enough that the radiator cooling fan comes on (don't touch the throttle). Now, start the timing and wait for 12 minutes (don't touch the throttle). When 12 minutes have elapsed (probably several cooling cycles) turn off the key without touching the throttle.

:028:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Thought I'd do some research so as to be able to talk with some authority instead of repeating fake news...
So I downloaded the user manual for a 2017 R1200GS.
It clearly says fuel type is 95RON.  Get the ECU remapped for lower.

Weird, my GS is a 2017 model and the manual says nothing about needing to get the ECU remapped for lower octane fuel - I can just use it (the manual is there on the UK BMW motorrrad website if you want to double check). There were effectively two models in 2017 and mine is the later, so perhaps that’s the difference or perhaps they are different in the Aus/EU markets.

Having said all that, and reading it again, it does suggest using 95 RON if available but that’s the lowest and cheapest available over here so makes no difference to price. What we’d call premium or super unleaded is 98+. In fact I don’t think I’ve ridden anywhere where 95 RON 89 AKI hasn’t been the lowest available so it’s never really been a question for me.

I would wager that the Explorer is very similar to my (EU 2017b) GS when run on lower than 95 RON in that the ECU will happily adapt to it but performance will be less, i.e. 95 gives optimum performance, 91 is fine but won’t perform as well and 98+ won’t perform any better than 95.

Anyway, I suspect I’m sailing close to an Admin warning about being off topic so I’ll leave it there.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
My riding buddy had a 2007 R1200RT. He told me that hexhead boxers were designed to automatically compensate for octane variations in various grades of gasoline. It may not run as well on regular, but it will not ping or burn pistons/valves. But all that is off if the O2 sensor is off.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 06:38:08 PM »
I had read that removing the O2 sensor smoothes the low down throttle response out. And give it a bit more pull from low revs. When the bike was striped down for the 30,000 mile service there was a lot of corrosion at the collector so as I was repairing that and cleaning up the corrosion I thought I try it with out the sensor. And can report there was a improvement. But not enough to justify the mpg loss. When I fitted the beowulf can the local shop said the standard map was the right one for the can. I will try the ecu reset. And if its no better I will put the scensor back in. But as iv said iv never got the 200 mile range with or without the Sensor. And I can definitely confirm that Gs1200 and the super tenere are all made to run on standerd 95 unleaded and will run fine or be it down a bit on power with 91 unleaded

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chris.p955 [+]
I will try the ecu reset. And if its no better I will put the scensor back in.
I would suggest doing both, but in the opposite order. Without the sensor, the ECU self-calibration will probably fail, because there is a default control loop that bypasses the map if sensors are off-line. At least, that is how BMWs work.

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks captain. I will let you no how I get on 

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chris.p955 [+]
But as iv said iv never got the 200 mile range with or without the Sensor.

You wont get 200 miles before reserve unless you're very frugal with the throttle. It is only a 20L tank whereas the GS has a larger one which is why they dont need to fuel up when you do.

My 2015 has average just over 51 mpg since new and as the reserve light probably comes on at around 15L thats around 3 gallons so anywhere in the 150 - 160 mile range. Ive ridden mine down to single figures on the range left reading and never put more than 18L to fill
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
I find a high variation in fuel mileage, dependent on how much city driving I do. All highway driving yields approx. 42 to 44 miles per US gallons per mile, but city driving drops that to around 35 mpusg.

Recent Topics