Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor mph  (Read 2497 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Re: Poor mph
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
In US gallons, the standard BMW GS holds 5.3 usg and the GSA holds just under 8.

For comparison, my wife's '09 650 V-strom held just over 6 usg.

5.3g plus 1 gallon reserve. Same tank as an rt120. 6.3 total.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
5.3g plus 1 gallon reserve. Same tank as an rt120. 6.3 total.
I think that you are mistaken. Granted, that the BMW official website is a bit ambiguous, but the 4l reserve is subtracted from the "usable tank volume".
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:21 AM »
hmmm. I’ll ask a bmw mech next week
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Online Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 04:07:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
hmmm. I’ll ask a bmw mech next week

Feel free, but the company that made it is quite clear in the owners manual that it’s a total capacity of 20 litres.

“The "usable fuel capacity" specified in the technical data is the quantity that the fuel tank could hold if refilled after it had been run dry and the engine had cut out due to a lack of fuel.” (Page 118)

Then on page 197 “Usable fuel capacity approx. 20 l”

By definition that means the 20 litres includes the 4 litre reserve, otherwise the reserve would be unusable.

This is also confirmed by the experiences of many riders.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nutter [+]
This is also confirmed by the experiences of many riders.
Myself being one. A couple of years ago I rented a standard GS for a few days of touring in Arizona, accompanied by a friend on his own RT. There is no way that the GS had the same fuel capacity as the RT.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »
For a start how does the original poster fill his tank?

You will get a few more litres of fuel in the tank when it's on the centre stand. Next the fuel gauge/low warning light is almost certain lying to you.

Test it out. Brim the tank on the centre stand and go for a ride. Your low fuel light will come on at around 160 miles so your going to assume that you've got 26 miles to empty or just over 180 miles in total.

Ether take some spare fuel and keep going until you run out or fill up the tank again brimming it on the centre stand. You can then estimate what fuel was still in the tank when you filled up.

You have a 20 litre tank. At 160 miles I would be putting 15 /16 litres in the tank that would say there are 4/5 litres still in the tank.  That would give me 40/50 miles so 200/210 miles.

Try it and see what happens. I've gone more then the 26 miles on reserve and still found there was 3 litres left when I've eventually got to fuel.
Older than the internet.

Recent Topics