Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor mph  (Read 2940 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Poor mph
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
True regards volume and tank capacity, but would you know whether 21.25km/litre was good, or bad consumption wise ?   
In Canada, fuel consumption is reported in liters per 100 kms. So, my Subaru uses approx. 8.6 liters per 100 kms driven with mixed city and highway driving.

My Gen1 TEX also reports fuel consumption in liters per 100 kms. That seems to vary by city vs highway driving, from 4.6 to 5.6 liters per 100 kms.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
In Canada, fuel consumption is reported in liters per 100 kms. So, my Subaru uses approx. 8.6 liters per 100 kms driven with mixed city and highway driving.

My Gen1 TEX also reports fuel consumption in liters per 100 kms. That seems to vary by city vs highway driving, from 4.6 to 5.6 liters per 100 kms.

What's the smiles/km comparison?
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by isb [+]
What's the smiles/km comparison?
Ranges from a low of 35 miles per usg (city riding) to a high of 42 miles per usg (highway) with moderate speed and throttle usage.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:36 PM »
Normally average about 45mpg but thats 2 up and not hanging about. On my own I usually get around 50mpg (UK figures) but last summer whilst on a 2500mile  trip around Norway and Sweden I recorded 63mpg - I was gob-smacked !!  I was pottering usually under 50mph  on the smal roads but I thought that was an incredibly good figure and almost impossible but that was my average - it soon dropped ot 50mpg in Germany / Holland but still good I think. Check its got a standard map - aftermarket exhaust and can might mean its been re-mapped or not - at 35mpg sounds a bit low in my opinion.
 :002:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 10:01:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Check its got a standard map - aftermarket exhaust and can might mean its been re-mapped or not - at 35mpg sounds a bit low in my opinion.
For the gen1 TEX, there were two versions of the Arrow can. The street version did not require a remap. The track version did, and it could only be installed by the dealer. I don't know of any other aftermarket can that could be remapped without some kind of add-on Power Commander type of device.

Keep in mind that one Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:04:12 PM by CaptainTrips »

Offline jsa

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Graasten
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 05:04:24 PM »
My gen 1 tex has burned 1581 liters of fuel over 31927 km - thats an average of 20.2 km/l.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsa [+]
My gen 1 tex has burned 1581 liters of fuel over 31927 km - thats an average of 20.2 km/l.
So, that's just about 5 ltrs per 100 kms. Pretty good, keeping in mind that there are no hills in Denmark (my wife is Danish)  :001:

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 09:37:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
For the gen1 TEX, there were two versions of the Arrow can. The street version did not require a remap. The track version did, and it could only be installed by the dealer. I don't know of any other aftermarket can that could be remapped without some kind of add-on Power Commander type of device.

Keep in mind that one Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons.
Hi Captain - yep I know the US gallon is differnet to the UK gallon that why I said (UK) in the post. As you note litre per 100km is probably a more universal measure - Im just old fashioned !!
Power Commanders are popular here and I suspect easy to remap. Its a different ECU on the 1050 but I remapped that with  TuneECU and a laptop myself using a standard Triumph map.
It is possible to get 35mpg (UK) from a 1200 Explorer but you all things being equal its easy to get 45mpg too without trying.
At the end of the day  I ride to enjoy my bikes - if I wanted economy I'd leave the RG500 at home - thats got a hole in the tank !!! :008:

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
My Gen 1 once achieved 221 miles from a tank, the fuel range was 0 left in the tank as I pulled up in the garage.

My 2016 XRX achieves around 52mpg on Tour two up with full luggage, this would be on the backroads around France and Germany.

On Motorways around 80mph it drops down to around 45mpg, the biggest mpg killer I find is a headwind, then I might be lucky to get 160 miles to a tankfull.
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »

I have a PC-V  with a custom tune on it and average about 46-48 MPG riding solo , so I routinely go 200-220 miles between fill ups and I'm not easy on the throttle .

Recent Topics