Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quick shifter opinions.  (Read 1575 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Quick shifter opinions.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »
Anyone know if the quickshifter for the Gen 3 is backwards compatible for a Gen 2?
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
Anyone know if the quickshifter for the Gen 3 is backwards compatible for a Gen 2?
According to this e-bay ad, the Explorer is not supported:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A9778508-GENUINE-TRIUMPH-EASY-SHIFTER-TIGER-1200-RANGE-2018-up-/132647182329

Not surprising. There would need to be a lot of tie-in with the ECU programming.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Gtwo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Cumming, GA
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »
Been riding for over 40 years. Shifting and using the clutch are like a reflex for me. Got my 2018 XRT and thought I would never use the quick shifter. Just for grins I tried it a couple of times. Haven't used the clutch since. This option works so smooth it's amazing. This old fart is hooked.... 

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 12:51:17 AM »
You must have fun at the traffic lights.   :002:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 02:59:05 AM »
I look forward to the day that I can just sit back and watch the scenery go by. Maybe even read a book.  :164:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 03:18:11 AM »
You'll have to get used to carrying less though - the 2018 Gold Wing won't take as much luggage as a TEX.  :002:

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 03:56:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I look forward to the day that I can just sit back and watch the scenery go by. Maybe even read a book.  :164:
Nah I don't fancy being the pillion.  That's my wife's role.  (She also has naps on the back.)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
You'll have to get used to carrying less though - the 2018 Gold Wing won't take as much luggage as a TEX.  :002:
Actually, the new Gold Wing has the same luggage capacity as my TEX (with the 33 ltr side bags and 55 ltr top box). I rode one for a brief period last Feb. in Arizona. It had the dual-clutch automatic. After the ride, I decided that I would rather have the manual shift version. But it did a pretty good job of shifting when I would have shifted (up and down). I didn't try the manual shift override.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 07:41:08 PM »
Actually, the new Gold Wing has the same luggage capacity as my TEX (with the 33 ltr side bags and 55 ltr top box). I rode one for a brief period last Feb. in Arizona.

But it has a suprisingly low weight capacity for a premium tourer. The max load capacity of the new Goldwing is only 192Kg. That is the non DCT, the DCT will be a good few Kg lower than that. That's less than my old 2016 Africa Twin which was 195Kg (no panniers but even they were only 9.5Kg for the pair) Tiger 1200XR is 230Kg, XCa 224Kg and XCx 223Kg. Granted the Goldwing has panniers and top box fitted but allowing 21Kg for those the entry level XR still takes a load of 209Kg Vs 192Kg. It just highlights the underlying robustness of the Tiger.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The max load capacity of the new Goldwing is only 192Kg. That is the non DCT, the DCT will be a good few Kg lower than that. That's less than my old 2016 Africa Twin which was 195Kg (no panniers but even they were only 9.5Kg for the pair) Tiger 1200XR is 230Kg, XCa 224Kg and XCx 223Kg. Granted the Goldwing has panniers and top box fitted but allowing 21Kg for those the entry level XR still takes a load of 209Kg Vs 192Kg. It just highlights the underlying robustness of the Tiger.
Max load is a function of max vehicle weight. The TEX is about 110 Kgs lighter than the new Gold Wing. But Honda claims that the usable payload actually increased from the 2017 GW.

And, consider the max side case cargo load for the TEX (including bags and rack) is 25 Kg and the max top rack load is 6 Kg (including case). So maximum of 31 Kg of cargo (with bags and racks). The rest is passenger load. The TEX / T12 rear sub-frame is a lot more delicate than the GW and the weight is carried further back.

Recent Topics

nonskid