Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quick shifter opinions.  (Read 1576 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Quick shifter opinions.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 09:32:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Max load is a function of max vehicle weight. The TEX is about 110 Kgs lighter than the new Gold Wing. But Honda claims that the usable payload actually increased from the 2017 GW.

And, consider the max side case cargo load for the TEX (including bags and rack) is 25 Kg and the max top rack load is 6 Kg (including case). So maximum of 31 Kg of cargo (with bags and racks). The rest is passenger load. The TEX / T12 rear sub-frame is a lot more delicate than the GW and the weight is carried further back.
Agreed to all, but at the end of the day load is load. Tiger XR is 230Kg max carrying capacity, no matter how you make that up, luggage, pillion, dry bags etc. Goldwing is still 192Kg, again, wherever you put it. So even if the Goldwing is 110Kg heavier than the TEX it stilll doesn't carry a larger payload. When you allow for the weight of top box and panniers the BMW's creep to the top, R1200RT, K1600GTL specifically.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 03:39:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Agreed to all, but at the end of the day load is load. Tiger XR is 230Kg max carrying capacity, no matter how you make that up, luggage, pillion, dry bags etc. Goldwing is still 192Kg, again, wherever you put it. So even if the Goldwing is 110Kg heavier than the TEX it stilll doesn't carry a larger payload. When you allow for the weight of top box and panniers the BMW's creep to the top, R1200RT, K1600GTL specifically.
Anyway, I wonder if Triumph will ever do a dual-clutch automatic.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Anyway, I wonder if Triumph will ever do a dual-clutch automatic.
With the onward march of electric vehicles (100% Torque at zero revs) I can't see too many companies investing heavily in mechanical dual clutch/automatic transmission technology for bikes and cars. Don't hold your breath for Triumph to do so. Electric bikes will also negate the need for a quickshifter. (phew, back on topic  :002:)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:50:58 AM by XCaTel »

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018xrxlow
  • City / Town: Eastham
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »
Well, I took the plunge and had it installed at my 500 mile service. The mechanic had a lot of trouble getting the software for it to integrate into the bikes brain. What I was charged one hour for took more than three. Thought I was going to have to find a different way to get to my home over two hours away. Anyway, finally worked it out as the day was ending and the temps were dropping rapidly. They gave me a free pair winter cloves for my patience. Thumbs up to the mechanic Elton of National Powersports in Merrimack, NH. As far as the shifter goes, it sure is a lot of fun banging up through the gears with almost no shift delay. $500 more fun? Maybe not. But I'm happy I got it. It really does depend on your riding style. If you generally ride keeping it below 5000 rpms or so. Probably not worth it. But if every on ramp is an excuse for a full throttle, then yes.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by iamwhatiam [+]
If you generally ride keeping it below 5000 rpms or so. Probably not worth it. But if every on ramp is an excuse for a full throttle, then yes.
Then, definitely not worth it to me...  :034:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
If you generally ride keeping it below 5000 rpms or so. Probably not worth it. But if every on ramp is an excuse for a full throttle, then yes.
Well I hope they installed in correctly? I find mine great at low speeds, especially downshifts with it's auto-blipping. Anyone else?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
I normally ride defensively and economically (i.e. almost always below 5k rpm if not 4k).
And since day 1, I never used the clutch again.
Be it when racing or lurking around, this quick shifter is a blast!

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
Another one who must be a magician at traffic lights!

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018xrxlow
  • City / Town: Eastham
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
Well, that's my opinion. I've only had it for a few hundred miles and it may change. Around town I would say I use it half the time. On high speed roads, all the time.  Also, I guess I don't ride very economically. If that was my motivation, I think I would have bought a different machine.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
If that was my motivation, I think I would have bought a different machine.
I've just never thought of my TEX as being Race Ready. Like you, if I wanted a machine like that I would look at something like an F4.  :084:

I was going to write that, for me, having paddle shifters on my TEX made about as much sense having paddle shifters on my Subaru Forester, but then I remembered that I do use them on the Forester to downshift on a grade, which is the only way to manually downshift a CVT. And I'm probably violating the CVT warranty (recently extended to 10 years by Subaru) in doing so.  :038:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:31:27 PM by CaptainTrips »

Recent Topics