Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quick shifter opinions.  (Read 2622 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Quick shifter opinions.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Another one who must be a magician at traffic lights!
Simple: I never stop at traffic lights!
(c;

Of course, I clutch when in 1st gear and that's all. When approaching a red light, I even let the engine brake do its stuff and downshift from 3rd to 2nd without much jolt in the system. And again, when taking off, 1st to 2nd is quick shifting like a dream!

Seriously, I'm in love with this gizmo and I much prefer it to any automatic transmission on a bike (apart maybe FJR's AS system which I didn't try). It lets you choose your gear and even using the clutch or not if you feel like it. The best of both worlds!

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:02 PM »
I mostly use the clutch but I do find that the quick shifter is handy when I am accelerating hard, especially on something like a curved on ramp where I am in a lean, it gives me a bit more stability to fully grab the handle bar.   I also love it when I am riding in the cold as I don't have to reach for the clutch and take my fingers away from that nice warm grip.  :001:

It isn't a make or break option for me but it is fun and handy at times and I do use it once in a while.  I normally use the clutch but I think a lot of that is having 35+ years of muscle memory, it is just reflex at this point.

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:42 PM »
I also mostly use the clutch, often from reflex.
When accelerating away from traffic lights, I'll usually shift up 2, sometimes 3 gears at a time.  Surely I'm being kinder to the bike to use the clutch there.
For many situations I find the quickshift gives a bit of a bump, which I don't do using the clutch.  So clutch is smoother, less complaint from the pillion.

The one time I do use the quickshift, is on a club ride through the winding hills roads where I'm struggling to keep up with those fast guys in front of me.  Not having to move my left hand from the grip is helpful on bends.
The gen3 clutch is pretty light compared with the gen1.  I did get a sore hand after a day of up and down and round, on the 2015 TEx.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]

The one time I do use the quickshift, is on a club ride through the winding hills roads where I'm struggling to keep up with those fast guys in front of me.  Not having to move my left hand from the grip is helpful on bends.
:0461: Yes, I like that for the same reason.

Recent Topics