Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cold storage!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: Cold storage!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
Cheers Icy you are clearly used to it - was skiing in France a couple of weeks ago and was saved by a kindly women who gave me one of her hot pouches she had in her gloves - at around -11 my fingers had had enough and were very painful - 10 mins clutching that one day pouch brought my circulation back - tried the feet one the day after and while they were not as hot as the hand pouches seems to keep my toes warm - not sure there would be enough room in my boots for them- i need better gloves for biking and skiing in the cold - i use the heated grips but on the bike its the outside that suffers - my wife just stuffs her hands under her backside onto the heated seat - not so easy when riding  :001:   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Cheers Icy you are clearly used to it - was skiing in France a couple of weeks ago and was saved by a kindly women who gave me one of her hot pouches she had in her gloves - at around -11 my fingers had had enough and were very painful - 10 mins clutching that one day pouch brought my circulation back - tried the feet one the day after and while they were not as hot as the hand pouches seems to keep my toes warm - not sure there would be enough room in my boots for them- i need better gloves for biking and skiing in the cold - i use the heated grips but on the bike its the outside that suffers - my wife just stuffs her hands under her backside onto the heated seat - not so easy when riding  :001:   

Oh absolutely. Not just used to though - I have good gear. Heated gloves + the muffs over the handlebars. Those muffs makes a whole lotta difference...  :015: :169:

And the wife sitting on top her hands on the backseat  :002: that's cute. The new tiger came with an additional auxiliary powerlet under the backseat. I tried to use that to connect the a secondary heater controller for the wife but it didn't work. So she had to suck it up for a few miles on a recent "quick trip" but I can't imagine having to do that for longer. Kudos to your wife for being such a trooper!  :821:

I have heated gloves + jacket + socks. Heated socks are important. There's nothing scarier than losing the sense on your feet whilst riding for long, in the middle of the night, on the highway and you simply cannot go back... real scary... I recommend heated socks and a cheap pair of boots 2 size bigger for the heated sock days  :169:

:305:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:10:50 AM »
What a crazy weather world!
Just watching TV news while eating my lunchtime sandwich, they report 12 killed so far in the US by the extreme low temperatures.
Icy and the rest of you guys, stay warm, don't do stupid things on your bikes.

Meanwhile in Queensland (north-east Australia) they are suffering one in a hundred years flooding;  across the bottom of mainland Australia we've had record-breaking heat and drought (my state capital has a new all time high temperature record);  and in Tasmania they have uncontrolled bushfires, warning residents to take precautions against the thick smoke.
Now if only our planet could even out the conditions a bit !

Tomorrow we have a club monthly breakfast in a location where the forecast is 39C.  I'm determined to ride there.  Our group rides policy is that they are cancelled if the forecast is 37C or more.  This isn't a group ride, so it will be interesting how many turn up on bikes, and how many in cars.
Contrasting with the troubles Icy and co have had with their bike bits freezing up, I'm optimistic that my T1200 won't complain about the heat tomorrow.  (I'll be carrying plenty of water for myself.)

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 03:38:29 AM »
 :028:
tires => frozen
road surfaces => frozen
two bridges that I have to cross => frozen
it rained the two days before the sub zero (even in Fahrenheit sub zero) temps came in
if the road is not covered with ice then there's salt everywhere - bike's sliding all over the place

you gotta know when to keep it in the hangar... I've been taking the subway the past two days. I'm itching for tomorrow but I won't do it. nothing thawed yet. Monday, back on the saddle.

and yeah, it's bizarre to the extreme. there are idiots here who argue "it's so cold how can it be global warming?" I would love to ship them over to you for a few months of debriefing. don't treat them nice, please.

you be careful with the heat as well. one can always layer up, but when the ambient temperature feels like you are riding in an oven there ain't much you can do. you slow roast. keep that hydration near you please.

be safe and enjoy for the rest of us. and pictures too please :821:

:305:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 03:44:45 AM »
One of my daughters is flying to Whitehorse NWT tomorrow morning to participate in an exhibition (indoor) soccer match. The forecast low for Whitehorse tomorrow night is -31C with a windchill of -41 (C or F, it is the same). Normal overnight temps for Whitehorse at this time of year are about -21C. I don't envy her.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Meanwhile in Queensland (north-east Australia) they are suffering one in a hundred years flooding;  across the bottom of mainland Australia we've had record-breaking heat and drought (my state capital has a new all time high temperature record);  and in Tasmania they have uncontrolled bushfires, warning residents to take precautions against the thick smoke.
Now if only our planet could even out the conditions a bit !

Tomorrow we have a club monthly breakfast in a location where the forecast is 39C.  I'm determined to ride there.  Our group rides policy is that they are cancelled if the forecast is 37C or more.  This isn't a group ride, so it will be interesting how many turn up on bikes, and how many in cars.
Contrasting with the troubles Icy and co have had with their bike bits freezing up, I'm optimistic that my T1200 won't complain about the heat tomorrow.  (I'll be carrying plenty of water for myself.)

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-january-australia-hottest-month.html

"...Heat-stressed bats dropped dead from trees by the thousands in Victoria state and bitumen roads melted in New South Wales during heatwaves last month..."

Man, this is truly crazy. Y'all be careful down under, please. Stay in the shade and hydrate, please. I would've said "keep the rubber side down" but I think it's better to keep it elevated a bit lest it starts to melt...

Offline Uncleal

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Snohomish
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
Captain, Whitehorse is in the Yukon, or it was this summer when I went through on the way to Dawson, my home town. Still damn cold though.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Uncleal [+]
Captain, Whitehorse is in the Yukon, or it was this summer when I went through on the way to Dawson, my home town. Still damn cold though.
Yeah, you are right. Got my abbreviations mixed up.  :006:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 12:11:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Man, this is truly crazy. Y'all be careful down under, please. Stay in the shade and hydrate, please. I would've said "keep the rubber side down" but I think it's better to keep it elevated a bit lest it starts to melt...
Quite a few bikes turned up at the breakfast yesterday, but the afternoon ride was shortened because of the heat, with few riders going on that.
I rode there with a friend who lives in the suburbs, but took me on the more scenic route, skirting town entirely.
After breakfast, my mate (Pete, who I sold my old TEx to) was going to his weekend shed to swap bikes ready for our upcoming Ulysses AGM/rally trip.  -Leaving the Harley there, bringing back the TEx.  So another rider and I accompanied him.  Around 100+ km each way.
On the return trip, highest I saw on the dash display was 38C.  We were travelling at speed, so I felt fine.  Screen lowered, neck cooler on, flow-thru jacket.
But once we got to the house where Ulyssians were for tea (bought at local fish 'n chip shop), I felt totally stuffed.  Immediately stripped off my heavy riding gear down to shorts and sandals, then walked down the street with Pete in search of refreshments.  Couldn't go past a tiny beer & cider bar.  Had to try their wares before moving on the the chippie and then coming back to the house with grub and beer.  Stayed there in great company for a few hours.  Pete and I were the last to leave.
After my 40min ride home, I flopped and drank 2 large glasses of cordial, had a shower then another large glass of water.  -That was after cider, a few beers, water and soft drink at the dinner.
So I must have been a bit dehydrated, without realising it.

And I reiterate... the T1200 wasn't unduly hot on my legs or body.  Pete told me (over the Sena intercom) that he finds the TEx puts heat higher, like up his body, whereas the Harley (Heritage Softail) tends to bake his feet, ankles and legs.

I don't know if its the same when suffering too much cold, but I was surprised to find I felt most affected once my hot ride was finished.  I suppose the reality is, my riding skills would have deteriorated as I got more dehydrated.  No doubt the same under very cold conditions, with the added bonus of fingers freezing up to the point of uselessness.
And yes, I know 38C is probably nothing for some of you guys who ride the US deserts.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:16:11 AM by kenw »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 12:53:39 AM »
My dehydration experience happened on my bike in the spring. It was a long day's ride (Vancouver BC to Eureka CA) and it was cool to cold for the entire day. We left at 3:00 am to get past Seattle before rush hour. Didn't stop for breakfast until we were past Portland OR. It was my first trip on a new to me ST1300 and my first real touring experience. I wasn't thirsty. We just kept going. Finally, in some small town on the coast of Oregon, we stopped for a break and I was dizzy. I went to put the side stand down and failed and then just laid the bike down on its side. Felt totally disoriented. My riding buddies realized that I need to get some water into me. I drank a full liter of water before I started to feel better.

So, it's not just in hot weather that you can get dehydrated.

Recent Topics

nonskid