Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking about one  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Re: Thinking about one
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »
The GPS is a really good point.  The gen2 has an optional mount (or you can make one). The gen3 doesn’t have one. If time isn’t a concern, maybe wait and see if the gen3 is really what you want. 

I love having the separate GPS mount. 

Offline avbiz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Explore
  • City / Town: roswell
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
I’ll speak for the “value” purchase. I recently sold a 2016 KTM 690R to get a more rode biased ride. I purchased a Gen 1 2013 Explorer with 2k miles on it for $8k. That was $500 less than what I got for my KTM - YEA NO PAYMENTS!  The previous owner put every conceivable accessory on the bike; so I’m good to go. The bike rides awesome; the horsepower is still better than the latest generation GS I was looking at.  I hardwired a gps mount, slapping on some new tires and steering damper next week.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 03:39:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
The GPS is a really good point.  The gen2 has an optional mount (or you can make one). The gen3 doesn’t have one. If time isn’t a concern, maybe wait and see if the gen3 is really what you want. 

I love having the separate GPS mount.

In a month or 2 you'll be able to buy the new Bluetooth unit that will turn the gen3's LCD display into a fully fledged satnav, making the need for a satnav mount moot. It'll give you Google Maps turn by turn navigation which is OK for most people. That is unless you want one of those fancy dedicated Motorcycle satnavs.

OP, if you are waiting until the spring there will probably be offers including the unit by then. In regards to my own experience, I've ridden a bunch of new bikes since getting my 1200 that have been amazing fun and whilst riding them I find myself pawning over them... Then I get back on my 1200 and am instantly reminded why I got this bike in the first place. That powerful engine and combined comfort are just unrivalled. It may not be THE most powerful bike in it's class, but it more than makes up for it in comfort whilst still being more than powerful enough for the road. It feels like I've gotten back onto some expensive luxury bike that I shouldn't be able to afford  :018:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
My current Mk3 XRT is my third Tiger 1200 (I had two Mk1 before).
From what I understand, the Mk2 is a huge improvement over the Mk1. No debate. The TSAS and brakes alone are a winning deal.
The Mk3's keyless system is clearly a PITA (at least it was to me, depriving me from my bike for two whole months). The canbus (with new chassis ECU) is also more susceptible to glitches when modding (Lights! I always add more lights! ;-). However, just use a fuseblock and relays and everything's still possible.

HOWEVER, aside from the gimmicky Mk3's iPadish dashboard (good looking but I believe the Mk2's dash is more efficient when riding), there are great additions:
- The electric TOURING screen rocks. Oh wait! The Mk2 has it, right? Not sure the screen itself is the same design though.
- The new ergos are spot on. Yes spot on. My SW Motech Vario Barback handlebar riser is still sleeping inside a box.
- The LED headlight is absolutely great. I'm (just a little bit ;-) obsessive about lights and I really have to crank my nitpicking rotary switch all the way up to 11 (yes, mine goes to 11) to find something that is not great about it (if you want to know, I could use a little longer reach in low beam mode). By far the best headlight I ever rode with. And the LED fog lights illuminate the sides so well that the adaptative cornering lights (which works, BTW) become almost unnoticeable.
- The quick shifter is a BLAST! Up & down, swift and smooth. Everyday pure pleasure.

If money is not really an issue, I'd go for the Mk3.

Offline Markymark11

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 800 XRT
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
All very helpful thank you. It will be spring when I get serious until then it's brilliant to get honest reviews and opinions ...if everyone said "avoid the MK1 because of unreliability" or "the MK2 is not comfortable for long trips" etc etc ... then I would be even better armed with questions and things to look for when going round the dealers,  hence why I am throwing it out there now.

Trying to gauge how much I really want to spend and is there any benefit of trying to find the extra cash for a MK3 when a MK2 or MK1 will do the same job. I am reading through forum comments on problems and annoyances as well as good points and suggestions to get a good knowledge of my subject matter.

Even if in the end after a few test rides it's not for me - I will be well informed as to the bike. I have had a few impulse bike buys recently and am determined to get it right this time for once .. :047:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:56:31 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
I can't comment on the gen 2.  But my gen3 is more comfortable than my gen1 was.  So I can ride longer and further in one go.
Combination of the better suspension and the better seat.  Both of which various people here have had 'adjusted' on their gen1.
And as NiK says, the ergos are better.  A bit more upright.  No need for the Airhawk cushion I used on the gen1.  The missus is more comfortable on the back too.
What kills me in the end are my legs, not my bum.  They start to cramp up.

Recent Topics