Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How far in to the engine have you gone?  (Read 713 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
How far in to the engine have you gone?
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I wondered if any of us have had the cylinder head off, or the crank out. I know there are a few people have had the gearbox out. For myself, I've just gone in as far as is needed for routine valve clearance setting, and I managed to repair a stripped thread in the head in situ - I didn't like the look of getting the head off.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: How far in to the engine have you gone?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »
I've done a total of 165000 miles on 3 Triumphs, and have never needed to take anything other than the cam cover off  :152:

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »
Same as you, Unsubtle.  Valve clearance checks / shim replacement.  Twice now.  I also had to repair damaged threads one time, in my case for one of the bolts securing the reed valve cover to the cam cover.  (Due entirely to my own clumsiness.  Over torqued buttoning up after 1st valve clearance check.  Didn't seem to actually effect anything, but my own conscience required I repair at valve clearance check 2) 

I hope you don't have to go deeper than that ...   trouble brewing?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:50:51 PM by Dick63 »
Dick63

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:23:05 AM »
No, the engine's fine at the moment - just curious! I had to repair one of the threads for the valve cover bolts, but I found that Timesert tools would just fit under the frame rails if I used a tap-holder to hold them, so I didn't need to take the head off.

73k on this bike, and maybe 290k on five Triumphs so far. Only the Bonnie has needed me to lift the head, and that was because of contaminated fuel coking up the valve seats.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:25:23 AM by unsubtle »

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
I've never been inside this one, still very low miles, but I've been in many of my other bike engines..I've also had quite a few bike and car engines down to the very last piece on a workbench.

Recent Topics

nonskid