Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help! It won’t start!!!  (Read 799 times)

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Help! It won’t start!!!
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Afternoon all,
I’ve just been to my Tiger 1200 XCA to check all is in order as for various reasons I’ve not done much riding for some time.

Anyway everything turns on correctly and dash appears as it should do but then when I pull the clutch in to start it there is just a click and the lights flash, like someone’s taking a photo, but the blinking thing won’t fire up!

Has anyone else had this issue? Light on the key fob is green so I know that’s on as well, I haven’t bothered the dealer yet as though I’d check on here first

Cheers

Anthony

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC12/T120
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Re: Help! It won’t start!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
Battery? 

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »
Don’t think it’s battery as screen and dash is all starting up fine, I assume that wouldn’t come on if was battery?

Offline R.

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRX 1200
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
I have had more or less the same problem (not on my XRX) where the mass (black cable) from the battery wasn't properly connected.
The lights and dash worked , but the moment I tried to start (and pulled more current) everything went black for +- 5 seconds and then came back on .

R.

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by R. [+]
I have had more or less the same problem (not on my XRX) where the mass (black cable) from the battery wasn't properly connected.
The lights and dash worked , but the moment I tried to start (and pulled more current) everything went black for +- 5 seconds and then came back on .

R.

Yes this is what’s happening, I’ll go and tighten things up and see if that makes a difference, have it a visual check but as I’m useless at this stuff I thought I’d seek advice first, cheers

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
If it's been sitting for some time, the battery could also probably use a recharge, if it has not been on a battery tender.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:50:00 PM »
Got my charger on now, just goes to show how useless I am with these things! Which is slightly embarrassing! Hopefully all will be good shortly and the bike will be back to life!

Thanks for the advice

Anthony

Online oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »
I'll pile on here-- The dash and lights require very little power. The starter requires a great deal of power. It sounds like you have a battery that needs charging. Try to jump it from a car and see if that works.

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC12/T120
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jarse [+]
Battery?

😉👍🏻

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
I have to agree, if it's been sat for a while the battery is likely knacked. My Explorer has been fine, but my old 955 needed a battery about every other year. I'd go and try and start it in the spring and..............nothing. The lights would go on but not enough oomph to crank the engine. I'd take it to the shop, and it was "your battery has had it Mister"

Recent Topics

nonskid