Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help! It won’t start!!!  (Read 798 times)

Offline R.

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRX 1200
Re: Help! It won’t start!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »
when not driving for longer than a week I keep the battery connected to something like this  https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-4 (disclaimer , I do not have stock in this company).
I have to replace my battery on average every 5 years and have (knock on wood) never had any starting problems.

R.

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
Had the charger on and it’s started now so yep it was the battery 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m such an idiot! Will see how it goes and if is a problem looks like will be a new battery, oh dear :-(

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC12/T120
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »
All good then 👍🏻

As stated, an optimiser or similar is a good idea.

Online Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by oxidefilm [+]
I'll pile on here-- The dash and lights require very little power. The starter requires a great deal of power. It sounds like you have a battery that needs charging. Try to jump it from a car and see if that works.

Caution! Watch what you’re doing jumping from another vehicle..
NEVER jump it from a running car. ECU’s and everything are really suseptical to power surges so from a low battery at say 10-11 volts jumped to a running car at 14.5volts then you run a high risk of frying the brains/immobiliser etc.
Static 12 volt good battery and you’ll be fine.

Offline bladerunner

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: explorer1215
  • City / Town: east kilbride
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
I have the same sort of problem with my explorer. its been on a trickle charge all the time but when I pull the clutch and press start all I get is a click and nothing . Dash lights all on but wont start.  Eventually starts after pushing start button dozens of times. Any ideas anyone?

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
I don’t know what that would be to be honest, I didn’t even recognise mine as a flat battery so I’m useless with this stuff! Good job I can ride a bike!

Don’t understand why it would start after a few presses on the button unless it’s a loose cable somewhere maybe?

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by bladerunner [+]
I have the same sort of problem with my explorer. its been on a trickle charge all the time but when I pull the clutch and press start all I get is a click and nothing . Dash lights all on but wont start.  Eventually starts after pushing start button dozens of times. Any ideas anyone?
If it does start eventually, I don't reckon its the battery.  Seems unlikely to suddenly work after not working.
If there is always a click, it's not the starter button or wiring to it.
You seem to imply that the dash stays powered up while the button is pressed but it's not starting.  I reckon that makes it solenoid contacts or starter motor brushes, or a shonky lead/contact to the starter.  -Or something in the HT system.
Does rocking the bike against the engine before trying make any difference?

If you have a multimeter (and you should have), monitoring the battery voltage while trying to start it will rule in or out battery issues.  Fortunately the TEx battery is easy to get to -just take off the seat.

Offline bladerunner

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: explorer1215
  • City / Town: east kilbride
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »
Rocking the bike makes no difference. I think Ill have to put it in to my local mechanic and have him look at it. Thanks all.

Offline R.

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XRX 1200
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by bladerunner [+]

What happens when you use jump start cables  (preferably connected to a running car , do not switch on contact on the bike before connecting the cables ) ?
Is it the same or does it start without any problems ?

R.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by R. [+]
What happens when you use jump start cables  (preferably connected to a running car , do not switch on contact on the bike before connecting the cables ) ?
Is it the same or does it start without any problems ?

R.

Actually if you're going to jump it from a car it's preferable that they not be running...... many automobile alternators are capable of putting out way over 100 amps which is entirely too much for the motorcycles electrical system

Recent Topics