Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Goodby Metzler; hello Continental  (Read 615 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Goodby Metzler; hello Continental
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
Doesn't seem to be a great following for the Continental on here, but after my Tourance Nexts have come to what I'd call an early end at less then 6000 miles, I had to make a choice. I'd rather see Hell freeze over than have another set of the Nexts that's for sure.
I did put a set of the Continentals on my Gen 1 Tex and loved them to bits. So, I figured I'd go again. It's true that there's not a great deal said about them, but most of what is, is positive.

So there it is. TKC 70s back and front.  Only been for a quick ride to Aldi and back but you can feel a difference immediately. A good difference that is. Better on mini roundabouts, nicer over speed humps too. Turn in is better and suddenly corners feel like one sweeping turn rather than a number of saw cuts.

I like 'em. We'll see how they fair in the forest on the Kielder 500 in March. Not claiming they're anything they're not. Other than they're significantly better than those hateful Metzlers. I did see that there was a 9 page thread on here basically saying the same thing about them.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Goodby Metzler; hello Continental
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
I would imagine most any tire would be better than the OEM tires..I replaced mine   at 1000 miles....I would have taken them off sooner but I bought the bike with 1000 miles on it.... :001:

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:50:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I would imagine most any tire would be better than the OEM tires..I replaced mine   at 1000 miles....I would have taken them off sooner but I bought the bike with 1000 miles on it.... :001:

:745: good one. I hate metzellers with all my being...
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:52:04 AM »
Continentals are the ones I am going to be putting on next, I should have a set on sometime this spring.  I have a hard time changing tires when there is still tread left on the old set. 

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »
I've kept the rear as an emergency spare (just in case Hell actually does freeze over) but the front was toast. I was concerned that it was my riding style somehow then I found the Metzler un appreciation thread with pictures. My tyre looks identical. There's a hard ring of tread around the centre with sides all but worn away and what looks like separation of the compound. This developed pretty much over one ride to Wales and back.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:42 PM »
Another Metzler protester here. My '12 model came out with the Tourances on it. They were the absolute worst tires I've ever had on a bike. It's too bad because I'm sure Metzler probably makes some good tires, but with bad experiences from dozens of owners here on both the Tourances and the Nexts, I'll never own a set of the Mets. :110:
Jon

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »
Been for a spin today and whilst I don't have enough experience to say that these tyres are better then X or nicer than Y, I can say they feel a world apart from the Metz.  Cornering is a joy. Low speed turns are so tight and precise. No issues at speed. They just feel a tyre should do.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
Another Metzler protester here. My '12 model came out with the Tourances on it. They were the absolute worst tires I've ever had on a bike. It's too bad because I'm sure Metzler probably makes some good tires, but with bad experiences from dozens of owners here on both the Tourances and the Nexts, I'll never own a set of the Mets. :110:

:0461: 100% about the OEM Tourance & Next......however I had Rennsports fitted as OEM on another bike and they were fantastic and I know people who really rate Roadtecs. Maybe Metzler just can't do adventure bike tyres? The real issue is why Triumph don't fit better rubber to their flagship bike, especially if they want it to compete with other bike manufacturers?

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:40 PM »
I have about 4800 miles on the stock Metzler's.  They are toast already, at least the front is.  At least it wasn't just mine that wore funny.  I was thinking of trying the new Anakee Adventures.

Offline iamwhatiam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018xrxlow
  • City / Town: Eastham
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
Interesting. I'm new to the Tiger and am not overly impressed the feedback from the tires. At least that is what hope it is. 800 miles so far, and almost tempted to ditch them. More money. Road only rider on a 2018 XRX Low. Any definitive help? I want to like this bike.

Recent Topics

nonskid