Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Goodby Metzler; hello Continental  (Read 598 times)

Crosshairs, Chaz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
Re: Goodby Metzler; hello Continental
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by iamwhatiam [+]
Interesting. I'm new to the Tiger and am not overly impressed the feedback from the tires. At least that is what hope it is. 800 miles so far, and almost tempted to ditch them. More money. Road only rider on a 2018 XRX Low. Any definitive help? I want to like this bike.

The bike is magnificent, the tires were good at first but wore strange.  My front tire looks like it has a mowhawk because of the way it has worn.  But after looking around online I found out it's not the bike, it's the tires.  It's kinda the same with my Harley's, first thing I do is ditch the crappy stock tires. 

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
Guys, in terms of questions about the Metz, you won't do much better than this thread here

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,15446.msg188360.html#msg188360

This was the thread that convinced me that it wasn't ME!

I wasn't really trying to create a new thread about the Tourance, the idea was to start one about the Continental. I think that most of the answers are in there. My front tyre looks exactly like the others people have posted. All of the other tyres have threads running - Michelin, Avon even Metzler but there's very little chatter about the TKC 70.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
I've always ended up with Pilot Road 3's or 4's on my Explorers and without doubt I'll be going for the 5's this year.

In the past I've run the bikes with the OEM tyres until they are done for and generally they've provided good performance however the tyre noise I was experiencing on my Gen 2 XRT was actually painful so the Tourance Nexts just had to go early! (2K miles)

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
:745: good one. I hate metzellers with all my being...

I don't necessarily hate metzler's I just hated the OEM metzler's..... I'm currently running Roadtec 01s and I'm very happy with them.... I've used them on previous bikes and I've always been happy with the performance so I put a set on the TEX see how they were and they are very good on this bike also.... I don't do any off-road though so that may be why

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
:0461: 100% about the OEM Tourance & Next......however I had Rennsports fitted as OEM on another bike and they were fantastic and I know people who really rate Roadtecs. Maybe Metzler just can't do adventure bike tyres? The real issue is why Triumph don't fit better rubber to their flagship bike, especially if they want it to compete with other bike manufacturers?
I wore out the original Tourances on my Gen1 and found them to get very noisy at their end of life. Then happened upon a brand new Tourance rear for $80 at a swap meet, so ended up with another pair. Then picked up a screw between the blocks on the rear about halfway into their lifespan and just decided to dump them in favor of PR4s, mostly due to the noise.

The ME880 was probably the highest mileage tire that I've ever used. Had them on both the R1100R and the ST1300 (but didn't really like them on the ST13).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:50:00 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
Sorry to hijack the thread by talking about the Continentals, but I had a good ride on them yesterday out towards Stoke. I had to set off early to meet with someone and it was just above freezing with a very heavy frost. For some reason the Sat Nav decided to take me on a suicide route. It was set to fastest time (I checked) but once past Wirskworth, it led me down the most ridiculous country lanes. By this time it had dropped to zero degrees and I was on tiny roads covered in gravel wash, frozen run off from the fields and even grass running up the middle. It was a work out for my nerves that's for sure, but the tyres themselves were superb. I never once lost traction nor felt any real loss of confidence. Having dropped a bike on gravel resulting in a broken ankle I was none too keen to repeat the performance.

Coming back I ignored the GPS and took the min roads which were a total joy. The roads to Ashbourne and Cromford then Matlock are fun with some superb sweeping bends. The TKC 70's were excellent in those too. I have aired down slightly though. The fitter chappy had them inflated to a higher pressure than the manual and the front end felt a bit skittish. I dropped to book pressure and it transformed the feel

Sorry - back to the Metlzer conversation.

:008:

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 02:38:16 AM »
I actually liked the Tourance Next tires that came stock, except the road noise was terrible.  I've had quieter knobbies.  The front did wear oddly as noted above as well.

And the rears seemed to attract objects that wanted to poke holes in them.

I had to replace 2 rear Metzelers in the span of 1000 miles.

Of course, I also poked a hole in the Pirelli later on, but at least that tire was nearing the end of its life.

I like Conti tires, and had several sets on other bikes.

Let us know how yours work out.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline OLAFEE

• Explorer Member
  • Back roads only
  • Bike: XCA 2017
  • City / Town: MIAMI
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:22:36 AM »
Continentals are awesome!! switched over to them from the Metz and love them! but I used the Conti Road attack 3.

I will be staying with them for sure.

Recent Topics