Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: autosol too agressive for Arrow end can?  (Read 475 times)

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Salisbury
autosol too agressive for Arrow end can?
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi, would appreciate your thoughts on this - I've read a few threads but can't see a consistent view.
My Tiger is two months old and the end can was covered in muck that was welded on - I've cleaned the exhaust and used autosol on the whole system including the end can.
It's come up beautifully but I wonder if this is good idea to do regularly or at all?
Many thanks in advance!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: autosol too agressive for Arrow end can?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
After the dealership helpfully splashed what looked like coffee all over my Arrow can and then test-rode the bike to bake it on, I used an aerosol stainless steel appliance cleaner on it that seemed to work fine. Perhaps a little less aggressive than Autosol. It is certainly not as abrasive.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
from bitter experience I would avoid Autosol and similar paste polishes on matt finished stainless steel like a Tex exhaust. They're too abrasive and leave a scoured finish - you might not notice it after one application but repeated use will eventually spoil the finish unless you spend a very long time making the cleaned finish uniform (and that's near impossible without removing the ehaust from the bike & using metal polishing mops on a bench grinder or similar).

A dedicated liquid s/steel cleaner is much better as they are mildly acidic (rather than abrasive) so dissolve dirt & stains without abrading the surface.

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
That sounds like sensible advice - thank you!

Offline BigLee

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer naturally!!
  • City / Town: WORKINGTON
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 02:15:59 PM »
When the can is cold a clean and dry with water then a good spray with wd40, let it sit a while and it should get most of the crap including tar spots off the exhaust. Spray a couple more times with a wipe with a soft cloth between will get it back looking like new 👌😀 don't use autosol  :182:

Recent Topics

nonskid