Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Slight blowing from exhaust header / manifold?  (Read 633 times)

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Slight blowing from exhaust header / manifold?
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:07:11 PM »
I used all the search phrases I could think of and came up with nothing on this so it's maybe just me?

I'm sure that I can detect a slight blowing from the joint between the down pipes and the cylinder head. I also feel the bike has a lost a bit of its sparkle but that might be more symptomatic of too many Christmas mince pies.  My last Tex happily took a couple of turns on the ratchet in this area too. I know they're a devil to get to without shifting the rad a bit. Is this something utterly new or so commonplace that no one's bothered to mention it? Bike only done 6k miles. Obviously difficult to describe a sound but I've worked on vehicles long enough to have an educated guess at this one. Cross between a Phhssst and a tic.

I'll get the tools out when I have a minute but don't want to be barking up the wrong tree if it's something well known. And no, it's not a puncture or a stone in the tyre.  :164:

Thanks team.

SW

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Slight blowing from exhaust header / manifold?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
Cheers Capt but that's not the issue. It's leaking (?) at the manifold. It's nothing to do with the can. Mine's only done 6k but it's a Gen 2 not a new Gen 3. I read that thread when it appeared and checked min just to be sure and it's fine. Same with the wife's 800.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
I think that that thread diverges at one point to talk about tightening the exhaust header nuts. There have been several mentions of this in various threads pertaining to either clicking or chuffing noise in the fairing area or extra heat on the legs.

Basically, you have to remove the bottom radiator mounts and swing the radiator forward a bit. The torque value for the header nuts is low (I think) around 10Nm. Basically, hand tight.

Also this (cracked header):

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,14657.0.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:09:14 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
I it might do but didn't pick that out when I re read it. Wow that is low torque isn't it. Hmm. Good to know that I can wiggle the rad to get to it. I have multiple wobble bars and UJs so I can get to most of them without moving the rad. I'll go carefully.

Yes chuffing, that's a good description. Also means something slightly different over this side of the pond! Ha ha. Just need a spot of warm weather and I'll get under there.

Thanks

BTW still not sure how my searches didn't find at least that one. I had exhaust and manifold as search criteria. Hey ho.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:16:59 PM by Stillwobbling »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:35:54 PM »
Pulled the OEM service manual and had a look. 10 Nm was for the exhaust header studs. The correct value is 19 Nm for the nuts. The correct order to torque them is:

First, the top nuts: left, right, center
Then, the bottom nuts: right, left, center

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 05:41:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Pulled the OEM service manual and had a look. 10 Nm was for the exhaust header studs. The correct value is 19 Nm for the nuts. The correct order to torque them is:

First, the top nuts: left, right, center
Then, the bottom nuts: right, left, center

Maybe it is just me but isn't it odd that we are not working from inside to out? 

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
Fantastic. I hadn't got that far..

Thanks for posting that. It might turn out to be nothing, but I'm pretty tuned into all my cars and the bike and I pick up on when something has changed. I parked up after a ride in the same place at home and just thought, hmm that sounds different. Hard to hear if you blip it because obviously that masks any noise. I had exactly the same on my Gen 1 after 30k and it noticeably quietened when I nipped the nuts. And I don't mean with a long bar, just a 1/4 drive socket wrench.

On the order, I am guessing (because I don't recall) that the individual exhaust flanges are just that; individual and not a one piece item. The order is probably just so you don't miss one rather than a particular order to pull it down evenly like a cylinder head.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:44:31 PM by Stillwobbling »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
Maybe it is just me but isn't it odd that we are not working from inside to out?
Since the pipes seem pretty brittle, I think it may be to avoid stressing the header as a whole. And Yes, the pipe flanges are all separate.

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »
Well found some time to have a rummage about today. Super weather, been riding all weekend and this morning and it seemed a bit nosier.  After faffing around with the usual fixings and bits of plastic I was able to get at the nuts. Well I'd be lying if I said they were tight. A couple were barely nipped. I didn't dog them up was a breaker bar obviously but I did give them a tweak. Time will tell. I'll ride it later in the week and see if there's a difference. Today's ride was great but the bike just felt rough like it was in a bad mood.

Recent Topics