Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Slight blowing from exhaust header / manifold?  (Read 765 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Slight blowing from exhaust header / manifold?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
Today's ride was great but the bike just felt rough like it was in a bad mood.
I wonder if you have a throttle body rubber intake boot out of place or cracked, causing an intake leak?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline happylarry

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Kidderminster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
Hi
 My exhaust header had a leak  which seemed quite minor (in fact when I removed it was beyond repair) but in never affected performance in the slightest.
rgds

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
No I don't think so. As I think I said, this isn't some major sounding problem. It just didn't sound quite right to me. I might be being picky, but I like stuff to be right. I'm not detecting major symptoms at all, it sounded a bit churrupy or something. Not detecting any leaks from splits or cracks and judging by the way it rode at the weekend, I'm not suffering any real lack of umph. But I do find that my bike seems to have moods. Some days it's like an orchestra and others a bit like a punk rock band. I don't think it's me. I have days where the gear shift is smooth then others when every shift sounds like someone snapping an oak tree.

I was just asking if there was a common fault that I'd missed but everyone else knew about.  Still a great bike but always looking for any emerging faults to be on the safe side. Heading for 7000 miles now and by the time I've done Germany this summer it's going to be due it's 10,000 service.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
Other than a leak at the flange where the header attaches to the head due to loose mounting bolts, the only aspect of the headers I remember is a section on the weld breaking on the header balance pipes. That was a reasonable frequent issue at one point.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
Other than a leak at the flange where the header attaches to the head due to loose mounting bolts, the only aspect of the headers I remember is a section on the weld breaking on the header balance pipes. That was a reasonable frequent issue at one point.
I think that it wasn't even a weld. I recall that it was the tubing itself and that the tubing is too thin to weld/repair.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
Depends how handy you are with TIG. These are the small airline sized cans

Not had a run out yet, but if it's dry this weekend at all, I'll be out for a spin so I shall report back.

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
And the winner is .......

Been for a blast around the Peak today. Super ride. Honestly, like a new bike. Quieter, smoother, better power delivery. Just lovely. Like I said, it wasn't that noticeable, just something that made me listen a bit harder when it was idling.

Now call it utter BS if you like, but the gear shift is much improved too. I've been suffering from clacky shifts recently and that's been driving me potty. Nipped the manifold studs up and not only is it nicer to ride but the shifts are slicker too. Is that something to do with revs, back pressure or a total placebo effect?

Recent Topics