Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer cut out when riding  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger XC
  • City / Town: Bristol
Explorer cut out when riding
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »
Hi
    People just a quick question  :002: I was on a dual carriage way on my way home today, just pulled up to some lights and the bike is hot after a 15 mile ride and as I pull away and get into the first bend to continue my way home the bike just stopped running! It was instant?
I managed to find second gear quickly and pulled the clutch in and it started up again and I managed to ride home about another 4 mile's with no issues.
The only time this has happened before was the day I bought the bike and rode it home, I just got off the M4 and was around 3 miles down a B road and it cut out then! I pulled over and restarted the bike, third attempt on the electric start and thought It was my fault some how.
It was just like the run stop switch had been flicked.
Again the bike was hot and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?
2015 Explorer XC 1200

Thanks
David
Gomaz

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Explorer cut out when riding
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
Yeap - Ask your dealer to check piston alignments.

No indications of engine cutting, right? It simply stopped running, no errors, no lights - just engine gone. and you can restart without a problem (even whilst moving) just hit the ignition and it will come alive as if nothing happened.

I had a harley that I could do that all the time - compress the engine under heavy acceleration and deceleration and the engine would cut off. My second Explorer had that habit for a while and I asked the dealer to check for that and they did and it never did it again. they told me that there was a misalignment - since I usually abuse my bikes I don't know if I caused it or simply exacerbated an existing problem. :027:

Worth a try  :821:

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
Thank you  :152: I will get intouch with the Triumph dealer tomorrow, Iv'e had no other issues and compleatly love the bike  :037:
My Harley fatboy has never ever done anything like this and Iv'e been everywhere on that  in Europe, got it new in 04 and late last year I brought a 97 Sportster back to life after being sat in an old mans garage for 18 years! the sportser I can fix but the Triumph I haven't got a clue!
Thanks for your advice  :001:
Gomaz

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gomaz [+]
Hi
    People just a quick question  :002: I was on a dual carriage way on my way home today, just pulled up to some lights and the bike is hot after a 15 mile ride and as I pull away and get into the first bend to continue my way home the bike just stopped running! It was instant?
I managed to find second gear quickly and pulled the clutch in and it started up again and I managed to ride home about another 4 mile's with no issues.
The only time this has happened before was the day I bought the bike and rode it home, I just got off the M4 and was around 3 miles down a B road and it cut out then! I pulled over and restarted the bike, third attempt on the electric start and thought It was my fault some how.
It was just like the run stop switch had been flicked.
Again the bike was hot and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?
2015 Explorer XC 1200

Thanks
David
Just looked at footage on my gopro and seen the oil light flash on the off as it cut out!
I checked the oil this morning any idea what type to top it up with ?
Thanks
Gomaz

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gomaz [+]
Just looked at footage on my gopro and seen the oil light flash on the off as it cut out!
I checked the oil this morning any idea what type to top it up with ?
Thanks

I believe they specify Castrol 10/40 synthetic but any quality 10/40 synthetic will work.... or any quality 10/40 conventional for that matter..just be sure its JASO certified

I personally run a 10/50 ..and there are a few other choices that are acceptable.... most important is that its clean and full..:)

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
Re: Explorer oil
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
Thanks for your message, I will have a look online and see what I can get now I know what I’m shopping for 👍
Gomaz

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
First time I've seen mention of a TEx burning oil.

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:16:00 PM »
Spoke to a mechanic at Triumph today, he said that the oil light was nothing to do with the bike stopping, that was just the oil pressure light coming on when it cut out, I immediately dropped the clutch and started the bike again and that’s why the light flickered and didn’t stay on.
He asked if any other lights came on and I said no it was fine after I started it again.
Then he said that he would put the bike on a laptop and run some sort of tests and said sometimes Triumph release updates for the bikes and that he would see if there’s any updates for my particular model!
Fingers crossed that it’s just an update on the laptop and nothing serious, I will see him one day this week and get it checked out at the Dealership.
Fantastic service from the dealer to find out the problem.
Gomaz

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
I had the same thing happen on my old 900 Trophy many years ago. It turned out to be the ignition module. Hopefully a software update will fix your problem

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Thanks for your message, I had traveled over 200 miles before I managed to get it done, I have visited Triumph and had the TEX checked out,  and said that no issues were found ( he gave me a print out of the results) then said he found the bike had the latest update already and reinstalled it just in case it had issues.
He said that I should take it steady for the next few miles as the bike  re-calibrated it’s self and I did just that for about 15 miles and took a longer way home just to see if it was ok.
I had no issues with the bike since but fingers crossed it won’t happen again.
Thanks again for your message and will post again if I get any more issues.
David
Gomaz

Recent Topics

nonskid