Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer cut out when riding  (Read 1045 times)

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: Explorer cut out when riding
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
I had mine serviced at the dealership last Saturday and also had them refit the exhaust gasket as when I put my Beowulf on it just wasn't seating right and it was leaking air.

They did all that and on the ride home it coughed a bit and I thought that was odd then about 2 miles later it just cut out. I managed to pull over and I switched it off then on again as the starter was dead. It got going and I brought it home.

Decided it likely needed the 12 minute retune to account for the exhaust repair so did that then the following day rode a 150 miles without a glitch.

Does get your attention when it cuts out and it's the first time you've taken your son on the back (so we didn't mention it to the wife or she would have vetoed the trip next day)  :164:

I made sure we hugged the inside lane for part of the trip till I was certain all was well; just to be sure  :002:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Had exactly the same thing happen when on my Gen 1 2014 plate TEX.  Was returning from Snowdonia and had ridden the bike hard for around 100 miles.  Was slowing down for some lights.  As soon as I went to pull away, the engine cut out.  Pulled the clutch in and re-started the bike no issues.  Did the same thing at the next set of lights but cut out this time as I was slowing down.  Never did it again after that and I don't know what caused it but traded it in withing the next few hundred miles anyway.  Seems like it's a common issue with these.

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger XC
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by moggi1964 [+]
I had mine serviced at the dealership last Saturday and also had them refit the exhaust gasket as when I put my Beowulf on it just wasn't seating right and it was leaking air.

They did all that and on the ride home it coughed a bit and I thought that was odd then about 2 miles later it just cut out. I managed to pull over and I switched it off then on again as the starter was dead. It got going and I brought it home.

Decided it likely needed the 12 minute retune to account for the exhaust repair so did that then the following day rode a 150 miles without a glitch.

Does get your attention when it cuts out and it's the first time you've taken your son on the back (so we didn't mention it to the wife or she would have vetoed the trip next day)  :164:

I made sure we hugged the inside lane for part of the trip till I was certain all was well; just to be sure  :002:

Glad to hear your ok  :002: it's a little scary when it happens and as you said it sticks in your mind for a while, but after no issues for a few hundred miles I iv'e got my confidence back and hope it was just a glitch.

Thanks for your message  :152:
Gomaz

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigraid [+]
Had exactly the same thing happen when on my Gen 1 2014 plate TEX.  Was returning from Snowdonia and had ridden the bike hard for around 100 miles.  Was slowing down for some lights.  As soon as I went to pull away, the engine cut out.  Pulled the clutch in and re-started the bike no issues.  Did the same thing at the next set of lights but cut out this time as I was slowing down.  Never did it again after that and I don't know what caused it but traded it in withing the next few hundred miles anyway.  Seems like it's a common issue with these.

I got my confidence back after it not happening for a few hundred miles and haven't heard anyone having this issue with the new model.
I love the style of the bike and the ride and if the new model is much improved than the old then that would be it for me.
just hope I can get an upgrade before petrol becomes expensive and electric bikes are all the rage.
Don't know about anyone else but the feel and the sound of a petrol motorcycle will always trump a two wheeled electric dodgem for me, the smell and the vibration and the sound of the exhaust is second to none.  :046:

thanks for your message.

PS
 I wonder what bike you went for in the end?
I'm going to try a GS out when the weather improves  :008:  I have never ridden one but wouldn't say no to the experience, but the look isn't as good as the tiger in my opinion but who knows.
Gomaz

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:34:02 PM »
I jumped ship and went for a 1200GSA TE model in the end.  Just was much easier to handle at low speed and had a bit more get up and go, plus was better suited to me ergonomically.  The TEX is a great bike, but they either suit you or they don't.  There's no halfway house with them really.

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
Thanks for your reply  :001: I will get out and have a few test rides in the better weather, but wont be trading in just yet.
I'm pleased to hear you found somthing you like and who knows after iv'e spent a few weekends test riding GS's and Tigers, I might have a change of mind  :152:
Thanks again

David
Gomaz

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 12:23:50 PM »
If you try a GS, try also to get a spin on the GSA. 

The difference between the GS and Tiger is pretty huge at low speeds but I've still never ridden anything which was as stable and on rails as my TEX at high speeds on twisty A roads.  The engine response on the GS is quicker, and it'd pull your arms out from zero revs upwards with the huge amount of torque it makes from nothing.  It just feels quicker...steering is quicker, braking is better.  GS feels a bit too flighty for my tastes...almost sports bike-esque....I prefered the GSA.   It's obviously all a very personal thing and depends on where and how you do most of your riding.

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 06:36:04 PM »
Thanks for your message 🙂
Mostly on road for me I do all my biking, had ZZR 600 when I was younger and gave it up for a Harley-Davidson fatboy as I was getting to over confident on the sports bike and I know it was only a 600 but Christ could it shift 😮 almost took out a railing off a large round about and thought the fatboy was a fantastic idea to slow me down 😬 and I was so right 🤪 then I started scraping the footboards on it and did lots of miles in Europe with the Harley group 😎 then as time goes by things change and you find yourself Going out less and less I left the group didn’t ride the bike much for a few years then, as I said in a previous post one day I decided to go off to Belgium on the fat boy and just found it too slow 😐 still got the bike, but love  the triumph a little more and can’t wait to try out some other models to see the difference, maybe a BMW would be a nice change but not at the moment as I already have x3 bikes and have to sell one.
thanks for your message and will repost once I’ve got out and tried a few different bikes.
I’m trying to get out more but lacking friends with an interest in motorcycles 🙁
My partner comes out with me every so often but that’s about it 😐 I will have to make the effort.
Gomaz

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
If the problem recurs lift the tank and check out the main connectors on the loom especially those related to ignition. I have seen a situation where a similar problem on a 1st generation bike was baffling a tech for a while because nothing was showing up on the diagnostics. He eventually found that moisture had gotten past the seals on a couple of main wiring loom connectors with resulting corrosion that caused intermittent problems depending on the amount of engine heat reaching the connectors. He cleaned the connector pins and sockets and the problem was solved. It is more likely to occur on bikes that have been regularly washed, especially with high pressure machines.

Offline Gomaz

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Love my Tiger
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
Thanks for your message and I will be keeping it in mind if it happens again, I just did an oil and filter change and when I get around to the air filter I will have to get the tank off and then I will have a look and see if I can clean any plugs and try and insulate them from any water Ingres.
Might as well while I got it apart.
Your very kind to make me aware of the issue and I’m grateful for your help.
Many thanks

David
Gomaz

Recent Topics

nonskid