Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Grips Melting problem  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Grips Melting problem
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »
Looks exactly like a worn out golf grip. 

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by nert [+]
Not much to explain. See Photos. I have a similar issue with my 73 Norton Commando, but not near as bad. The grips just get sticky.
I think I excrete acid through my pores.  Not looking good for you Ozzy.

Mine did the same thing.  Not really "melting," but just getting soft and kind of sticky.  They are also cracking.  Just crap rubber I figure.  I have a replacement set (on sale from Triumph USA and World of Triumph a few months ago) but I haven's put them on yet.  I put bicycle inner-tubes over them and took care of the problem.  Maybe I'll get around to putting on the new grips when it's not so cold outside and I feel like working on the bike.  Too much trouble to take the tank off to thread the wiring right now, although it may be possible to do it without taking the tank off.  I figure I'll put the bicycle inner-tubes over the new grips right away to prevent them from wearing out.

For what Triumph charges for these things, they should last longer.  I've had several sets of Oxford grips on other bikes that lasted a lot longer.  BTW, I always wear gloves (the grips turned my tan deerskin summer gloves black) and never use chemicals to wash the bike. Who washes these things anyway??

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
Had exactly the same thing happen on my 2012 model - again the clutch side was worse that the throttle side but replaced them both last year. Have never cleaned them with anything except water and it is like a chemical reaction - the grip just goes kind of tacky !!! Anyway new set fitted nad no more issues - but yes never expereinced this sort of this before in 35 years of biking !! Weird !!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
As for melting (i.e. excessive heat), a friend had this on a pair of Oxford grips. These do heat up high (unlike Triumph's over expensive under heating thingies), but his were a tad overheating and melted away during the first ride ;-) Of course he got a perfectly functional brand new pair from the reseller.

As for material degradation, many "rubbers" do it overtime. Be it ultra violet, acid sweat or any other environmental cause, it just happens. Most rubber-like materials are made through polymerizing and/or vulcanizing. These are complex industrial processes, very sensitive to any variation of chemical composition AND environmental conditions during said industrial process. Many manufacturers learned it the hard way when outsourcing production to warmer and wetter countries (mainly South East Asia).
That said, any serious industrial provider is perfectly able to guarantee a lifetime resistance of such products. Doc Marten's soles have been near indestructible for decades and believe me I tested them in really harsh environments ;-)

Conclusion: Triumph failed once again. In their current business model, having 1% or 2% of cursed customers doesn't seem to be a problem. Alas, I don't think other manufacturers are much better at all that...

I recommend two things:
1 - Always wear gloves when riding (and yes, I know how's it like to ride in 40°C+). Your sweat won't accelerate any degradation process, if said degradation still occurs you won't end up with sticky gooey hands and when you'll crash you'll have a lower risk of ruining your hands, fingers and ultimately whole life.
2 - Get in touch with Triumph, send them pictures and be prepared to a lot of BS (don't ask how I know). In the end, I can't see how they wouldn't be responsible for such a material failure.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
2 - Get in touch with Triumph, send them pictures and be prepared to a lot of BS (don't ask how I know). In the end, I can't see how they wouldn't be responsible for such a material failure.
I think that the problem is that pictures will not tell the whole story. My grips show this kind of wear over time, but it is from abrasion rather than material failure. In other words, the stickiness will not be conveyed in photos.

My opinion is that variations in part supplier materials quality seem to be Triumph's biggest problem with the TEX models. Example, steel parts not hardened to specifications. That, and incidental sloppy assembly. That could include a bad batch of grip 'rubber'.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline OLAFEE

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Back roads only
  • Bike: XCA 2017
  • City / Town: MIAMI
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I will take a picture. It is simply a Gooey condition that has happened twice in a row on my two last explorers. I will post pictures soon. Now, to consider: yes I live in Miami and we have a brutal HUMID summer here and I ride constantly but, it's funny you guys never experienced this. I will talk to the dealer this week as the bike is under warranty and would like those to be changed.  Keep you all posted. Oz

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
I have a work truck that has rubber molding around the windows. During good weather my arm is resting on the open window directly on the rubber. The rubber is breaking down and needs replacing. This is after ten years never being garaged in the Desert sun. I’m sure my sweaty arm contributes more than anything. The passenger side doesn’t have the problem.

Offline blueTrex

• Explorer Member
  • enjoy every ride
  • Bike: 2012 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
Hi Guys,
my first pair of heated grips melted and I could not buy new covers, i had to get the whole heated grip unit and it was expensive.
My solution for the new heated grips was to slide a bicycle tube over the grip so it wont ware out. Its a cheap fix and seams to work well.  :002:
Cheers Andrew

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by blueTrex [+]
Hi Guys,
my first pair of heated grips melted and I could not buy new covers, i had to get the whole heated grip unit and it was expensive.
My solution for the new heated grips was to slide a bicycle tube over the grip so it wont ware out. Its a cheap fix and seams to work well.  :002:
Cheers Andrew

Me too!  If I ever get around to replacing my (tube covered) grips, I will slide the bicycle tube over them right away.  They look fine, transmit heat just as well as the grips, and are easy to replace if they ever wear out, which is unlikely.  I have the new grips, just haven't been ambitious enough to put them on.

Recent Topics