Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.  (Read 3753 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline flyingz06

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 110
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
  • Country: United States
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 11:30:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]

My 2019 XRT has a headlight lever, so surely the XCA should have one?

See here for info...
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,18827.msg219987.html#msg219987

I found it.  Totally different shape and position from my 2017. Dealer said no lever lol

Offline mike2411

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 64
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
  • Country: United States
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 12:25:38 AM »
lol...I wouldn't have looked at that as a "lever" so I was assuming I didn't have one.

Read the manual? Who reads those anyway? :034:
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline flyingz06

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 110
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
  • Country: United States
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 02:01:45 AM »
went to the BMW dealer.   Put my wife on the back and set the suspension to 2 up.  The bike raised about 2 inches and also became stiffer.  Oh man I wish Triumph would add this on the Tiger 1200.   They had it on the Trophy SE i had so i'm just stumped.

Offline KenW

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1495
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
  • Country: Australia
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 04:15:18 AM »
Did the BMW find your wife attractive?   :002: :002:

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 930
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
went to the BMW dealer.   Put my wife on the back and set the suspension to 2 up.  The bike raised about 2 inches and also became stiffer.  Oh man I wish Triumph would add this on the Tiger 1200.   They had it on the Trophy SE i had so i'm just stumped.
The Tiger will compensate for weight automatically and self level the rear in an attempt to maintain suspension travel and therefore the front trail too. There is no preload adjust on the front in common with many bikes and the system wouldn't see any reason to "raise" the bikes overall height from the road just because you are two up. Extra damping would be the norm for heavier loads and that is a 10 second adjustment via your joystick. If you are going on a road trip just up the damping in every rider mode before you go, 60 seconds tops. Easy Peasy.

I will admit at max load capacity the rear preload cannot adjust out 100% of the rear SAG but that is very common on most bikes because magic springs haven't been invented yet (but fancy ride height linkages have).

Offline flyingz06

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 110
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
  • Country: United States
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 02:14:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The Tiger will compensate for weight automatically and self level the rear in an attempt to maintain suspension travel and therefore the front trail too. There is no preload adjust on the front in common with many bikes and the system wouldn't see any reason to "raise" the bikes overall height from the road just because you are two up. Extra damping would be the norm for heavier loads and that is a 10 second adjustment via your joystick. If you are going on a road trip just up the damping in every rider mode before you go, 60 seconds tops. Easy Peasy.

I will admit at max load capacity the rear preload cannot adjust out 100% of the rear SAG but that is very common on most bikes because magic springs haven't been invented yet (but fancy ride height linkages have).

when you say adjust damping are you saying put it more towards sport versus normal or comfort?  BMW raises the back if you select two up or luggage.  The Triumph Trophy SE also does it.  Not sure why they didn't design the Explorer to do it.

Besides adjusting the damping as you say, i also need to adjust the driving lamps (fog lamps) bc they point up and light up in the trees.  You can adjust the lever for the headlights to an extent. 

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 930
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
when you say adjust damping are you saying put it more towards sport versus normal or comfort? Yes, towards "Sport" is extra damping for heavier loads.

BMW raises the back if you select two up or luggage.  I'm not sure why you would want to raise the back if you select two up or luggage. The idea is to add extra preload yes but to maintain ride height (and therefore geometry) on the Tiger, not increase rear ride height. The Triumph Trophy SE also does it.  Not sure why they didn't design the Explorer to do it. - I know nothing on the suspension setup of said bikes so cannot compare.

Besides adjusting the damping as you say, i also need to adjust the driving lamps (fog lamps) bc they point up and light up in the trees. You must be heavily loading tht bike! Max load is between 223-230KG for the 2018 on Tiger 1200. If had mine at the max several times but nave been OK on the fogs. They are wide angle so shouln't really need adjusting or have you aftermarket beam spots?

Offline flyingz06

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 110
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
  • Country: United States
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »


The back raises on the bmw so when a passenger or luggage hops on,  the rear isn't lower than the front.    I am 180 pounds, my wife 135, 25-30 pounds of luggage if traveling.   Why did/does the trophy se have these settings?  I wonder if they figured most won't ride 2 up on the Tiger.

Offline Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1126
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
I only have limited knowledge of the Trophy system (launched before the Gen 2 Tex I think?). Is it also a WP suspension system?

I guess Triumph configured the WP system for the Tex with its 9 damping settings as a more flexible improvement (or not) over the ‘load’ pre-sets on the Trophy.

My KTM has WP e/suspension that is principally the same at the Tex, but with similar load pre-sets as the Trophy (or BMW). It only has 3 stages of damping, not the Tex’s 9.

I find the KTM (so I guess Trophy & BMW too) load pre-sets are very convenient but I actually prefer & find more useful the 9 stage damping of the Tex. However in the end both ways seem to be equally effective.

Maybe our individual personal preferences are just based on familiarity?

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4507
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]

The back raises on the bmw so when a passenger or luggage hops on,  the rear isn't lower than the front.    I am 180 pounds, my wife 135, 25-30 pounds of luggage if traveling.   Why did/does the trophy se have these settings?  I wonder if they figured most won't ride 2 up on the Tiger.
The Trophy was a road-only bike. The Tiger is intended to be an adventure bike with off-road capability and longer suspension travel. They have different suspensions and different steering geometry for different purposes. The Trophy is also heavier and uses different tires and wheel sizes. You are comparing apples and oranges.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

 


Recent Topics

nonskid