Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.  (Read 4662 times)

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
Re: Triumph rep says 2019 has preload option selection for 1,2 or luggage.
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
I weigh 260 and my wife 125. Even though the Tiger doesn't have the "2-up" or "luggage" settings, it rides 2-up better than any bike I've had...including the Trophy I owned before buying my Tiger...and the Trophy was great!
"You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding."

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 09:21:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]

The back raises on the bmw so when a passenger or luggage hops on,  the rear isn't lower than the front.    I am 180 pounds, my wife 135, 25-30 pounds of luggage if traveling.   Why did/does the trophy se have these settings?  I wonder if they figured most won't ride 2 up on the Tiger.
The Trophy does not have a swingarm position sensor as far as I know so that is why it would of had a selectable setting. Your brain is doing for the Trophy what the Tigers swing arm position sensor is doing. If you took the swing arm position rod off the bike and pushed up the swingarm position sensor you would see the rear of the bike rise (engine must be running). You would see it rise because you haven't put any load on it yet by sitting on the bike. The bike does not need a user selectable preload selection, rider + passenger for example because it is infinitely more granular than that by actually measuring the load and adjusting preload accordingly.

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 01:01:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I only have limited knowledge of the Trophy system (launched before the Gen 2 Tex I think?). Is it also a WP suspension system?

I guess Triumph configured the WP system for the Tex with its 9 damping settings as a more flexible improvement (or not) over the ‘load’ pre-sets on the Trophy.

My KTM has WP e/suspension that is principally the same at the Tex, but with similar load pre-sets as the Trophy (or BMW). It only has 3 stages of damping, not the Tex’s 9.

I find the KTM (so I guess Trophy & BMW too) load pre-sets are very convenient but I actually prefer & find more useful the 9 stage damping of the Tex. However in the end both ways seem to be equally effective.

Maybe our individual personal preferences are just based on familiarity?

are you saying 9 damping settings as in comfort to sport?

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 01:03:56 AM »
are you saying 9 damping settings as in the range from comfort to sport?

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
are you saying 9 damping settings as in the range from comfort to sport?

Yes.

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 01:40:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The Trophy does not have a swingarm position sensor as far as I know so that is why it would of had a selectable setting. Your brain is doing for the Trophy what the Tigers swing arm position sensor is doing. If you took the swing arm position rod off the bike and pushed up the swingarm position sensor you would see the rear of the bike rise (engine must be running). You would see it rise because you haven't put any load on it yet by sitting on the bike. The bike does not need a user selectable preload selection, rider + passenger for example because it is infinitely more granular than that by actually measuring the load and adjusting preload accordingly.

interesting   thank you

Offline flyingz06

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19:40 AM »
new tiger 900 has option for one or two passenger and luggage....... grrrrrrr   but ours won't! 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:18 AM »
new tiger 900 has option for one or two passenger and luggage....... grrrrrrr   but ours won't!
Right, I'm coming round your house and I am going to club you to death !!!!  :110:  The Tiger does not need those settings because it has a swing-arm position sensor. It knows what load you are putting on the bike and adjusts preload automatically, no user intervention required!

The only other setting it may change (on the 900) is the damping, adding more as you go up the loading, e.g. rider+passenger, addd more damping, rider+passenger+luggage, add more damping again. But the press release doesn't make it clear if it does that. Somehow I doubt it. Note, there is no electrically adjustable suspension on the front, it is rear shock electrically adjustable only and only on the GT Pro model.

I managaed to get hold of a copy of the press release which just condenses the data already posted on the Triumph Website for those that are interested.

:431:

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
This morning Visordown reports the new T900 GT Pro has 9 levels of damping (like the T12) and 4 pre-load settings. Hopefully that should satisfy everyone? And it could be something they’ll add to any new T12 when it’s updated.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 11:23:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
This morning Visordown reports the new T900 GT Pro has 9 levels of damping (like the T12) and 4 pre-load settings. Hopefully that should satisfy everyone? And it could be something they’ll add to any new T12 when it’s updated.
And it could be something they’ll add to any new T12 when it’s updated. Will, why would I swap automatic, closed loop granular adjustable pre-load (T12), which measures my EXACT weight and adjust the pre-load accordingly, for a four position open loop pre-load that is chosen by the rider?  The four position pre-load will be based on some weight the Triumph designers have decided on relative to the rated load capacity of the bike and the average human (as you would, not poo pooing that).

Recent Topics

nonskid