Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: side stand bolt  (Read 508 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
side stand bolt
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
how many have lateral play on their side stand?  also, while checking it out I found the nut was working its way off.  tightened it back up but still have side to side play (against the hinge).
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: side stand bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
Three was a full-up recall on the side stand bolt for first-generation TEX's. Not sure how far that extended into 2014 but check and see if your VIN is on the recall list. The bolts would bend and break because they were machined incorrectly.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:32:37 PM »
I've had two of these  bikes and there's been play in both stands. The first one sounded like yours. An odd arrangement with a bolt into a captive thread - with a nut on as well.  I found that there was a lot of movement, took it to pieces to find the hole had become a slot. I machined it out and put a sleeve in to bring it back to spec. It was better. The Gen 2 I have isn't the same at all. It's a pin and a clip IIRC. Nothing to tighten. I just make sure I keep it greased.

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »
I knip up the side stand nut everytime I do A "Tire Kick"  (preventative Maintenance Check up). Usually thump the handle bars & Crash bars (upper & lower) induce vibration and listen for Rattles , buzzes, etc.
Usually the side stand is floppy .. I don't like that, so I make it slightly firm to deploy. There is Nothing worse than getting a little air and landing with a Ka Thunk.. Thunk.. and think "what just Broke?? " Only to find that its the Side / Center stand bouncing around and hitting the frame.
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:33:37 AM »
i had this too, my dealer put locktite on the thread. Stand is still a little floppy but the bolt no longer self extracts...
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Online ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Three was a full-up recall on the side stand bolt for first-generation TEX's. Not sure how far that extended into 2014 but check and see if your VIN is on the recall list. The bolts would bend and break because they were machined incorrectly.
Sidestand bolt recall was only for 2014

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
My early 2013 (assembled late in 2012) was subject to the side stand bolt recall.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]

'12 models through at least '14 models were included. I don't remember the cutoff on VINs, but my '12 model produced in 2011 was included...

Part of the problem with the sloppiness, is that the shoulder of side stand bolt is several thousandths of an inch smaller than the hole in the sides stand that it fits. Either the bolt shoulder was turned down too far or the hole in the side stand was drilled out too big. I contacted Triumph NA to tell them of the issue, but never heard anything back from them...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:16:30 PM by Jon »
Jon

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
how many have lateral play on their side stand?  also, while checking it out I found the nut was working its way off.  tightened it back up but still have side to side play (against the hinge).

I believe they all (Mk I at least) have some play in the side stand. My 2015 was the same in terms of loosening over time. Every month or two I would check it, it would normally have become less tight than it should be, and I'd tighten it up.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:31:19 AM »
This is a recalled bolt replacement.  I’ll have to take everything apart and see what is up.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Recent Topics

nonskid