Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking shaft drive  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Leaking shaft drive
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:20:30 PM »
Just returned from the Thistle Rally in Scotland about 440mile round trip. Put the bike in the shed. When i returned to it today there is a puddle of oil under the rear shaft. It seems to be coming out the rubber boot at the rear of the saft. I popped the rubber boot off and run my finger inside and shure enough there is oil on there. It's a 2012 bike with 31000 miles on the clock. I don't suppose triumph will fix it under warranty. Iv read a few posts on hear and it seems there no replacement seal available. Or is there now a fix available?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Leaking shaft drive
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:25 PM »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:34:39 AM »
If it is green and does not stink it s liquified driveshaft grease. If it is red and stinks it is hypoid gear oil. Green ok red possible shaft seal failure.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:03:56 AM »
It's definitely oil from the final drive. The oil was changed a few 100 miles ago. When i checked the level it still seems OK. Took the level /filling bolt out and the oil slowly made its way down the thread. I'm thinking have I over filled it and the oil been blowed out? There dosnt seem to be a breather on the final drive

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
AFAIK, there is no breather. You would think that it would have to be quite hot to have a pressure related blow out. I fill to the filler hole threads when the bike is sitting on the center stand. I change the final drive oil fairly regularly with no incidents (so far).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 10:09:17 PM »
After a few emails to triumph they have made it clear I'm on my own on this one. I understand the bike is out of warranty. But a final drive unit failing at 31000 miles. That carnt be right. And as triumph don't list a seal or repair in there eyes it is a fail. And as with most peaple I havnt got the no how or tools to strip and try to repair the unit. The worrying part is that the oil had gone onto the back wheel. Me and this Mrs could be in a hospital if not worse now. We was lucky the last 150 miles was motaway and not twisty roads. In my eyes the final drive should last the life of the bike. The shaft on my old xs750 had 70000 miles + with no problem. It leaves me with a Explorer that is worthless. I carnt use it I carnt fix it and I carnt sell it. 35 years iv had bikes most of them triumphs. I really carnt see me getting another Triumph. Up to now iv loved the bike. It took me and the Mrs to some great places . But now I'm without a bike on the road for the 1st time in 30 years. And without the money to fix or replace the bike.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chris.p955 [+]
After a few emails to triumph they have made it clear I'm on my own on this one. I understand the bike is out of warranty. But a final drive unit failing at 31000 miles. That carnt be right. And as triumph don't list a seal or repair in there eyes it is a fail. And as with most peaple I havnt got the no how or tools to strip and try to repair the unit. The worrying part is that the oil had gone onto the back wheel. Me and this Mrs could be in a hospital if not worse now. We was lucky the last 150 miles was motaway and not twisty roads. In my eyes the final drive should last the life of the bike. The shaft on my old xs750 had 70000 miles + with no problem. It leaves me with a Explorer that is worthless. I carnt use it I carnt fix it and I carnt sell it. 35 years iv had bikes most of them triumphs. I really carnt see me getting another Triumph. Up to now iv loved the bike. It took me and the Mrs to some great places . But now I'm without a bike on the road for the 1st time in 30 years. And without the money to fix or replace the bike.
I totally hear you on this. No manufacturer should produce something as complex as a final drive as a black box unit that cannot be repaired. Even BMW with their dubious history of final drive failures do allow them to be rebuilt.

If I was in your shoes, I would investigate finding an automotive machinist who might be will to try and crack open the box and see if there is a repair. Did you have an opportunity to try and follow up with the poster in the other thread, to find out how he made out?

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 12:33:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Chris.p955 [+]
It's definitely oil from the final drive. The oil was changed a few 100 miles ago. When i checked the level it still seems OK. Took the level /filling bolt out and the oil slowly made its way down the thread. I'm thinking have I over filled it and the oil been blowed out? There dosnt seem to be a breather on the final drive

get the oil level correct then clean out all the oil from the shaft area and ride the bike....be careful and keep an eye on it but its quite possible it was pushing oil out due to being over full.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 02:26:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
get the oil level correct then clean out all the oil from the shaft area and ride the bike....be careful and keep an eye on it but its quite possible it was pushing oil out due to being over full.
I think that's unlikely. The only way to overfill it is to lie it on its side when you are adding oil. There is no breather.

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:21:43 AM »
I had a small leak about 6 months ago on my Trip Around Aus. It went away after 2 days. I checked the Fluid level when it was cool Ambient temp. It was fine Just below the Filler Hole Level.
Never had an Issue since..

I hope this little Diag will explain what Capt & T800XC have said..

T800XC had replaced a seal Hopefully he can illuminate ?

Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Recent Topics