Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking shaft drive  (Read 1568 times)

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Re: Leaking shaft drive
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sidi1200 [+]
T800XC had replaced a seal Hopefully he can illuminate ?
I replaced the brown rear spindle seal on mine. I had to replace it a couple of times over a few years as I managed to pinch part of the seal when fitting it, ending up with another small leak. I made some simple bushes & tooling to help remove the old seal and drift the new one in without damaging it. It took a couple of attempts to get the tooling right, but the last seal that I fitted has been working fine.

I pretty-much followed the process from here...
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,9746.msg137459.html#msg137459
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I think that's unlikely. The only way to overfill it is to lie it on its side when you are adding oil. There is no breather.

He mentioned that he thought he may have over filled it...being over filled will almost certainly  cause it to leak .It's worth a check before condemning the seal....while it may in fact  be unlikely that it is overfull ,not double checking the oil level and reevaluating the leak  would be foolish.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
I have to say I'm in the camp of "not touching or replacing" the final drive oil after the first running in service as per the Triumph service recommendation. If it isn’t broke, don't fix it. This oil is designed to be left untouched in normal use. Does everyone replace the gearbox or diff oil on their car every 5-10K, no, there is no need. The OP didn’t have a problem until he replaced it, did a home service outside of the dealer network or a non franchised dealer/mechanic (that’s fine) but to then have a go at Triumph because of it is taking the biscuit.

Don't build maintenance into something that is maintenance free!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:17:12 PM by XCaTel »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I have to say I'm in the camp of "not touching or replacing" the final drive oil after the first running in service as per the Triumph service recommendation. If it isn’t broke, don't fix it. This oil is designed to be left untouched in normal use. Does everyone replace the gearbox or diff oil on their car every 5-10K, no, there is no need. The OP didn’t have a problem until he replaced it, did a home service outside of the dealer network or a non franchised dealer/mechanic (that’s fine) but to then have a go at Triumph because of it is taking the biscuit.

I would remind you that BMW declared the Hexhead boxer final drives to be 'maintenance free' and 'lubricated for life' when they were introduced 14 or so years ago -- to the extent that the original final drives did not include a drain plug. Then, about 3 years later, when the final drives started failing, they revised the recommended viscosity and added a drain plug for easier maintenance. My riding buddy recently bought a low mileage 2017 R1200RT which had had its first service before he bought it. At its second service, he drained the final drive and was kicking himself that he had not done it immediately because the oil was visibly breaking down and discolored.

If you let the dealer do all the servicing and trade your bike when the warranty expires, then sure, don't change the final drive oil. Speaking as someone who always does my own service work, there is absolutely no way that you can ruin a final drive seals by changing the oil more frequently than recommended, as long as you use the recommended viscosity.

I use a blended gear oil (both synthetic and dino). Some people have said that pure synthetic oils in older bikes tend to get past seals more easily than dino oils. YMMV but if the leak persists, it might be worth a try.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 05:38:33 PM »
This idea occurred to me a few minutes ago. This is something that I might try if I was in a 'nothing to lose' situation prior to pulling the final drive and looking for a replacement.

It is known that automatic transmission fluid can expand seals. A home remedy for leaking fork seals used to be to clean the dirt out of the seal with a business card, then put a small amount of ATF on top of a fork seal (back when forks were right-way up). This used to work.

So, FWIW, if the final drive leak was persistent, I could drain the gear oil, fill the final drive with ATF, let it idle in first gear on the center stand for a couple of minutes, let it sit for a few days, then drain the ATF and flush it a couple of times with fresh gear oil (fill, idle in gear, and dump). And see what happens.

Obviously, I am not advocating that anyone should try this. It's just an idea.  :084:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
BTW, for test purposes, you could wrap and an absorbent cloth around the rubber boot and secure it with string to keep oil off of the rear wheel.  :002:

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]

When i was Reading the booklet that comes with the bike i came tonthe part of maintanace intervals. One of the things that stuck in my mind is indeed just change the driveshaft oil at the first maintenance. After that no more!
Behoren this tiger 1200xca i had the FJR of Yamaha. Also schaft driven. This on needed aan oil change every 10k km’s. Why the difference in these 2 bikes?

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

It is known that automatic transmission fluid can expand seals.

Thats just a whole bunch of nonsense..there is nothing in ATF that will "expand seals"

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Thats just a whole bunch of nonsense..there is nothing in ATF that will "expand seals"
It's a well-known shade tree remedy that works on fork seals. Can't say much more than that.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne [+]
When i was Reading the booklet that comes with the bike i came tonthe part of maintanace intervals. One of the things that stuck in my mind is indeed just change the driveshaft oil at the first maintenance. After that no more!
Behoren this tiger 1200xca i had the FJR of Yamaha. Also schaft driven. This on needed aan oil change every 10k km’s. Why the difference in these 2 bikes?
The bottom line is that any application that has meshing gears will degrade the viscosity of oil over time due to shearing, which basically chops up the lubricant molecules.

That and the accumulation of ground metal debris as the bearings wear, that should be flushed out occasionally.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:14:31 PM by CaptainTrips »

Recent Topics