Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking shaft drive  (Read 1328 times)

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Leaking shaft drive
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
It's a well-known shade tree remedy that works on fork seals. Can't say much more than that.

The act of cleaning out the dirt is what stops the leak, the ATF is just used to flush away and remaining grit and any compatible fluid would do the same. ...most  will use ATF as  its cheap, readily available its not a problem if it gets past the seal as it will mix just fine with the fork oil...trust me, it does absolutely nothing else and nothing in it will swell the seals or help them to work better

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
The act of cleaning out the dirt is what stops the leak, the ATF is just used to flush away and remaining grit and any compatible fluid would do the same. ...most  will use ATF as  its cheap, readily available its not a problem if it gets past the seal as it will mix just fine with the fork oil...trust me, it does absolutely nothing else and nothing in it will swell the seals or help them to work better
Some claim that ATF often has additives that will soften older seals that have dried out. Others claim that DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid also works. There used to be a product called Seal Swell or something like that.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 11:42:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Thats just a whole bunch of nonsense..there is nothing in ATF that will "expand seals"

Parker-Hannifin disagrees with you:

http://blog.parker.com/o-rings-and-seals-for-automotive-transmission-fluid

Type of interaction between ATF and seals depends on the chemistry of both the seals and the fluids, but there definitely are interactions.   The same is true for brake fluid vs brake seals.  What each is made of counts.
Dick63

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 12:00:03 AM »
I also did some Googling also and found a number of anecdotes that claim that adding a small quantity of ATF or brake fluid to the lubricating oil can have a beneficial effect on a leaking seal. So, for the OP, while it might be a faint hope, it might also be a low-cost option to try if all else fails. The cost would be some gear oil and some ATF (or similar).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 01:57:23 AM »
Just thorght I would clear a few things up. I stopped using my local triumph dealer a few years back.There work was very poor the last sevice he did he didn't do the work on the service schedule . If I had a good triumph dealer near me I would use them. The shop I use has a good rep  He uses quantity parts. And dose a good job. Last year before I was due to go Norway I decided to check a few things. The FDU oil was very dirty and I don't think it had ever been changed. I changed the oil and the tour went well. In January I went to the dragon   rally when I come home I notice a oil patch in the shed that  looked like it was coming form the shaft drain plug. I changed the washer and filled the shaft  up to it come out the top filler hole. I let it settle. All seemed good so I put the plug in.as you say it would be very different to over fill. I Went to the Thistle rally in Scotland no prob when I was up there I check and there was no oil but the weather  had been a bit rubbish so the shaft area was dirty.. When I got home and put the bike away it was the next day I noticed the oil. I checked the leval and it seemed right. But there was oil behind the rubber boot and leaking out onto the floor. I'm  shure it is coming from the FDU . And as we all no there are   other bikes out there that are
 Leaking oil from the FDU that triumph has fixed as a good will gesture. The only difference is I have a very poor triumph dealer near me. That  not only myself but my tomcc won't use. And changing the FDU oil or not it shouldn't leek after 31000 miles. So yes I'm having a go at Triumph because the seal has failed prematurely. If it was a easy fix all well and good. But when Triumph say you need a full new FDU to fix a oil leak somthing is very wrong. As the say this is a adventure bike. What would you do if this happend 1000s of miles from home.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 09:12:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I would remind you that BMW declared the Hexhead boxer final drives to be 'maintenance free' and 'lubricated for life' when they were introduced 14 or so years ago -- to the extent that the original final drives did not include a drain plug. Then, about 3 years later, when the final drives started failing, they revised the recommended viscosity and added a drain plug for easier maintenance.
Only we are talking Triumph not BMW. BMW changing the viscosity rating and adding a drain plug has no bearing on what Triumph are doing with their final drive. BMW's action could of been taken (was probably taken) due to a design flaw in their transmission and not the inadequecies of any oil. Triumph state not to change the oil for a reason, they didn't just guess the service schedule and randomly decide that. If someone has a drive housing breather and somehow submerses that breather to ingress water then there is a case for an oil change, otherwise I think not. But everyone is free to change it as often as they wish of course.  :169:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Only we are talking Triumph not BMW. BMW changing the viscosity rating and adding a drain plug has no bearing on what Triumph are doing with their final drive. BMW's action could of been taken (was probably taken) due to a design flaw in their transmission and not the inadequecies of any oil. Triumph state not to change the oil for a reason, they didn't just guess the service schedule and randomly decide that. If someone has a drive housing breather and somehow submerses that breather to ingress water then there is a case for an oil change, otherwise I think not. But everyone is free to change it as often as they wish of course.  :169:
First, I don't believe that Triumph states anywhere "not" to change the oil in the final drive. Second, the reason is marketing -- longer service intervals = better marketing potential.

I am disputing the idea that anything can be lubricated for the life of the vehicle. If you examine the engineering criteria for such things, you will always find limitations on what they mean by the "life of the vehicle" along with "recommended usage" etc. etc. My reference to BMW is a reasonable parallel case study of a highly engineered product where BMW with all their much promoted German engineering prowess got it wrong.

Even in the early owner reviews of the 2012 TEX in Bike magazine in 2013, there were references to Triumph not using sufficient grease in key areas such as swing arm bearings (I found my own starting to corrode after little usage and no exposure to salt). I think the phrase used in the Bike article was "they sent someone out for a pot of grease but they never came back." Again, if you don't intend to keep the bike longer than the warranty period, then that is fine. But for those of us who might make a ten-year commitment to a bike, parts that are "lubricated for life" are simply not.

I cannot imagine any scenario where a manufacturer would refuse to provide warranty coverage on a vehicle when an owner performed regular maintenance more often than was recommended by the manufacturer.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:43 PM »
I change the final drive oil on the valve check interval.

Online Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 11:12:21 PM »
I change my final drive every other oil change. Every 5K on engine & 10K on FD. It makes it easier for a forgetful old fart like me to remember...
Jon

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 12:18:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
I change my final drive every other oil change. Every 5K on engine & 10K on FD. It makes it easier for a forgetful old fart like me to remember...

Thats my plan also..seems like a decent change interval.

Recent Topics

nonskid