Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer disapearing into a cloud of white smoke  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Explorer disapearing into a cloud of white smoke
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
Soooo, I went to the petrol station last night, started the bike up and it's a bit lumpy, double checked I've not put diesel in and then it starts smoking  :155:

Rode the mile home in the 30mph limit and fine again, started it up this morning, more smoke attributed to water and GT85 on the radiator from cleaning it on the weekend (yes I know, but I do clean them sometimes).

Got into work and wafts of steam, but looked like dripping onto the exhaust pipe, getting doubtful about the cleaning bit now, left it for an hour and then tried again, didn't want to start, but after a couple of goes it started Ok, deffo getting lumpy now, then clouds of steam both from the front of the engine (coolant dripping from RH exhaust port) and out of the exhaust silencer  :086:

Breakdown called and off back to Staffs Triumph as advised for them to have a look at, looks like I'm cadging a lift home  :003:

2015 Explorer Roadie, 19,500 miles (was going to be booking it in for the big service today).
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Explorer disapearing into a cloud of white smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
A couple of possibilities, but the most likely one is that the radiator was punctured during cleaning. There was one report on here that I know of, of head gasket failure, but that wouldn't necessarily cause external leaking. Any chance that it was exposed to really cold temperatures and froze recently?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
Coolant coming out of your exhaust pipe?

I’m no expert but it sounds like you have a huge problem.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Coolant coming out of your exhaust pipe?
Hmm, I overlooked this comment. See this topic:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,16562.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:35:31 PM »
Yep.  Coolant out the exhaust pipe is not from a radiator leak.  Neither is running "lumpy".

Head gasket would be my first "diagnosis", although Capt Tripps question about cold, implying a crack(s) due to freezing is valid if it got very cold with insufficient anti-freeze. 

Really sorry to read this, Dilbert.   
Dick63

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
Capt Trips
I read the freezing with some amusement, I'm not in Canada and the bike is kept in the garage, which is my overflow beer cellar (around +2 to 4degC), sorry  :008:

Dick
Yes, favourite is head gasket, second guess cracked cylinder head and these are what the dealer is investigating.

They're taking the engine out today to look into it, so it's not going to be cheap, warranty is debatable, it's a three and a bit year old bike, but I've had it just over two years and since it was an ex-factory bike the warranty should have started when I bought it, technically it's out of warranty either way, but while we're still in the EU we have the Warranty Protection Directive, which plays on the old UK Trading Standard of reasonable life, it's not reasonable for a 19,500 mile modern engine to go off pop !

I should have a better idea later today, on the upside, when they put the top end back together they'll complete the expensive part of the 20,000 mile service by default  :008:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
Ouch! That's gott(nn)a hurt!
Sorry for you matey!

Did you do all of your servicing at the dealer? I know first hand that it's a major decision criterion when asking big T for a gesture good will...

Offline ToeCutter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
That sucks,  fingers crossed it's only a head gasket.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
It's at the dealer's still, they've stripped it down (engine out job) and confirmed no damage to the cylinders, or cylinder head, they're ordering in a head gasket set and should all be back together soon(ish), then it's wait and see if it works, or steam still comes out  :086:

Mentioned the warranty !!!
It's a three and a bit year old bike, but as I bought it ex-factory I get the full two year warranty, that's just expired (January), but I also mentioned (ready for it) the EU Warranty Protection Directive (what's the EU ever done for us) and the "reasonable life" stipulation, along the lines of "blowing it's head gasket at 19,500 miles isn't very reasonable", Paddy the service man was sending an email to Triumph  :084:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
"blowing it's head gasket at 19,500 miles isn't very reasonable"
Indeed!

None of my bike ever blew a head gasket:
- '87 VFR: 180,000km
- '97 Tiger 900: 85,000km