Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer disapearing into a cloud of white smoke  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Explorer disapearing into a cloud of white smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
Triumph have agreed to pay for parts, head gasket, O-rings, head bolts and odds and ends like oil, oil filter, coolant, etc, that are needed for the rebuild, Staffs Triumph are going to do the rebuild and 20,000 service at the same time, so some of the parts for the service will be covered and some of the labour cost will be shared with the service and vice versa.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
So good to see this.  You've been a stand up guy for Triumph, glad they are standing up for you.

Any indication of the root cause?  Bad gasket / seal finally failed?  Insufficient torque / insufficient clamp up?  Any ideas at all?
Dick63

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
Yeah! Good to read! Results!

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
No explanation so far, normally an issue with heat cycles/ revving hard from cold, I normally have at least a mile or two of town traffic each end of my commute and run the engine for a couple of minutes while I close the garage door/ put my gloves on, so not likely to be anything I've done, as it's an ex-factory director's bike I can't say how it was treated initially, or whether he was a devotee of the "run it in hard" pseudo scientific approach, but my dealer did make a point of mentioning this to Triumph.

It's a busy time for their workshop as many are only just coming out of winter dormancy and wanting services done before they venture out, so I have to wait and see when they can slot it in for rebuild.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »
Ok, picked the bike up on Saturday and all's well again, total cost £1058, but that included all the labour and parts for the 10,000 miles service (£650 service + £50 front brake pads), Bubbs the chief mechanic at Staffs Triumph spent about 18 hours on it (engine out, head strip), fortunately the Triumph guidelines brought this down to about 12 hrs and all the parts, including coolant, head gasket and other seals were covered by Triumph under "good will warranty".

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Ok, picked the bike up on Saturday and all's well again, total cost £1058, but that included all the labour and parts for the 10,000 miles service (£650 service + £50 front brake pads), Bubbs the chief mechanic at Staffs Triumph spent about 18 hours on it (engine out, head strip), fortunately the Triumph guidelines brought this down to about 12 hrs and all the parts, including coolant, head gasket and other seals were covered by Triumph under "good will warranty".
That's a great deal.  :028:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
That's a great deal.  :028:
But still, a little frightening for out of warranty bike owners.  :003:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »
It gets worse, got it back Saturday 30 Mar and back in Friday 5 April, only used it two days, the rest of the week I was away at site and the  :230: has gone again, waiting to see what happens next  :084: :187: :155:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
It gets worse, got it back Saturday 30 Mar and back in Friday 5 April, only used it two days, the rest of the week I was away at site and the  :230: has gone again, waiting to see what happens next  :084: :187: :155:
Have a look at the picture on this page:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,16562.40.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
The finale is that Dilbert (the OP) ended up trading his TEX for a new T8 XRX after the second head gasket failure.

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,18314.0.html

Recent Topics