Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scotlands nc500  (Read 624 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Devon
Scotlands nc500
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:41:29 PM »
Evening all
Looking for some advice on doing the nc500 this summer but I have limited time. Is it possible to do the nc500 in 2/3 days?  I normally cover 250/350 miles/day or 6/7hours riding each day when in Europe but understand these roads can be slow. Any advice would be greatly received.

Online Chris.p955

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger955 norton domi
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Re: Scotlands nc500
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:33 PM »
It's possible to do it in 3 days.  They are slow roads I find it was the picture stops that slowed me down. You will have to look at how long it will take you to get up to Scotland in the 1st place

Offline Hax

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:12:56 AM »
What's your route? Where you coming from then heading for?
The best bits are an easy full days ride without stopping every 5 miles....

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
Sign up for MyRouteApp, you can use the free one but the paid version is low cost and very good, and import the NC500 GPX file (into MyRouteApp) and it will give you the mileage and estimated time it will take you to complete that track, it is quite accurate. If you have the paid version you can then split the route into your three days an allocate a mileage/time to each day. Allow time for scenic views, petrol stops and food/coffee breaks, maybe at least a an hour or two a day. If you find each day is going to be 15 hours long you can edit each days ride in MyRouteApp to a more reasonable figure. If you have a motorcycle Sat Nav you can then export your new route(s) to it. If you don't have a Sat Nav it is still a handy planning tool. Bon Voyage to lovely Scotland! Personally I think you are pushing it to do the complete route in 3 days but it depends on how long you want to be in the saddle I guess.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:10:13 AM by XCaTel »

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
If you want to ride it - its easy in that time - if you want to take it in you can take a little longer - West coast is as spectacular as anywhere in the world - you have to go to Applecross make you go out North via Fearnmore to Shieldaig - the route is'nt fixed you can customise it - have a good time - when we went in June Glenshee was at 6 degrees  :005:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline glenn389

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »
Best advice I would give is go anticlockwise. The scenery builds better.

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Book your accommodation.

When I was there, bikers were being turned away from B&B's.

But it is a grand ride!

Watch out for camper vans. I met one round a blind bend on a single track road and it was a bit sketchy. No tarmac on the left to put my foot down, just a hillside beckoning my RT into oblivion.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
I went via Skye, through to Harris&Lewis and then back to the mainland. That's pretty awesome too.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »
Did the nc500 last year and went anti-clockwise, saves the best roads for last for sure. I tried to do it in 3 days and had to skip out part of the very last section as we didn't have time. I'd recommend allocating at least 4 days and taking it slower. It's doable in 3 days, definitely not 2 if you want to enjoy it. There are some great stops along the way to pitch up and take in the scenery, you'll be kicking yourself if the weather is nice and you try to do it in 3 days though.

I'd try and be flexible too if you can and hold out for a good spell of sunny weather. It was 30c+ when I did it which made all the difference.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:39:37 PM by nuttySweeet »

Offline Jamieklb

• Explorer Pro
  • The most northerly UK Tiger Explorer so far...
  • Bike: A Red One.
  • City / Town: KLB
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
I’m doing 2/3rds of it on Monday when I go to collect my new Cocker pups from Wick. I have to go down to Inverness first, then up to Wick and back to Kinlochbervie along the top coast. I’ll be in my Disco rather than the bike but it’s a good run all the same.

Recent Topics