Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Doing valve clearances - strange shim size  (Read 832 times)

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 (2012)
  • City / Town: Laksevåg
Re: Doing valve clearances - strange shim size
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »
Yeah, I will do this like this:

I order what I need, re-using shims I already have.

Hopefully this will place the clearance within specs. I will aim to put them in the mid range (0,120-0,130 and 0,3000), but will accept anything within the specs listed in the manual.

Hopefully I will not need to reshim. If I do, I probably only need one or two, which I can afford to buy at the local shop.

Will update when I have the shims (about 10 days).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Doing valve clearances - strange shim size
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I admit this is metallurgy & mechanical  engineering way beyond my pay grade, but in the dim recesses of my memory I recall being advised not to "adjust" shim thickness because it can remove the hardened surface. I assume although an "adjusted" shim might work fine at first it would then wear prematurely. Do you have any comment on that? Or is it just a manufacturer's ploy to get us to pay for more shims?
No, I think that you are correct. I recall one poster on this forum who did do this, but we don't know about the long term results. I would think that the hardening would extend beyond 0.025 mm but can't say for sure. If I needed 10 shims changed (like last time) and had nine in hand, I might be tempted to try this and skip the trip to the dealership if the shim was within 0.025 mm of spec.

BTW, I check all of the shims with my cheapo digital micrometer and compare their size to the size etched on them, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:59:13 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid