Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated Grips and Turning Your Light Off  (Read 638 times)

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
Heated Grips and Turning Your Light Off
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »
I don't regularly ride in winter but the other night I was out and the temperature dropped to 2 degrees (Celsius) so I thought it best to turn the heated grips on. My first attempt whilst riding along some deserted country roads resulted in me turning off the headlights to running lights. Not good with a bend not too far away!  :005:The second attempt was fine but it's such a 'faf' at night that I think I will stop the bike next time to turn them on.

Anyone else managed to do the same?

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Heated Grips and Turning Your Light Off
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:38:55 PM »
Spend some time getting to know your bike and it will help tremendously...you should be able to operate all of the controls without even looking.... you can do this by just sitting on the bike in the garage and operating all of the controls until you are comfortable.

I dont want to sound like a downer, but if you need to look down at the controls to see how they operate, your really not safely operating  the bike. 

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Spend some time getting to know your bike and it will help tremendously...you should be able to operate all of the controls without even looking.... you can do this by just sitting on the bike in the garage and operating all of the controls until you are comfortable.

I dont want to sound like a downer, but if you need to look down at the controls to see how they operate, your really not safely operating  the bike.
I find that I always stumble when it comes to locating the high beam switch at night, largely because I seldom ride at night. I expect that the new T12 with its backlit switchgear would help with that.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tyneside
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]

Totally agree! I am a Blood Biker and never know which of 4 types of bike I may have to ride - FJR1300, Pan European, Trophy or RT1200. Because I never ride any of them often enough it can be difficult recalling exactly where indivudual switches are. It’s always comforting to jump back on my TEx and instinctively know just the right amount of thumb movement and direction needed to operate each switch.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:05:25 AM by Fazer »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I find that I always stumble when it comes to locating the high beam switch at night, largely because I seldom ride at night. I expect that the new T12 with its backlit switchgear would help with that.
It does.
The high beam switch (formerly called 'flash/pass') being under the left index finger, you surely won't need to look at it.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »
Years ago I had a bike with 2 switches close together - one on/off for all lights, the other for dip. I still quake at the memory of the first time I rode it in the dark. Approaching a sharp bend I saw car headlights heading my way, flicked the wrong switch & plunged myself into complete darkness. Don't know who was more scared, me or car driver!  :005:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
It does.
The high beam switch (formerly called 'flash/pass') being under the left index finger, you surely won't need to look at it.
The switchgear may differ in North America. We have a high/low beam and the flash/pass switch on the back of the cluster
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »
The heated grip tiny little buttons are not illuminated at night and a bugger sometimes in daylight. I could spend days practicising to turn them on and off but at night I'd still get it wrong sometimes.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by r2uzenblot [+]
The heated grip tiny little buttons are not illuminated at night and a bugger sometimes in daylight. I could spend days practicising to turn them on and off but at night I'd still get it wrong sometimes.

I ride in the cold quite a bit and have found that I can be pretty clumsy  when trying to hit the heated grip button and it always seems to go on.  Even when using a thick gloved hand.  I was concerned at first, being the button is so small and right next to the cluster,  but it has surprised me how easy it has been to activate.

When I turn it on I make my thumb point at it and then push straight down, I don't slide my thumb over and try and push it the way I do with the other buttons.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »
Yeah, I got used to it too.
Still, the design is awkward.

What I'm still regreting from my previous Mk1s is the CC command (I don't get it: the ride mode button I almost never use, whereas the CC...).
And the low to no travel of the indicator switch.

Recent Topics

nonskid