Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Management Malfunction  (Read 1199 times)

Offline ydnar

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Kearney, NE
Engine Management Malfunction
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:54 AM »
I just finished adjusting the valves. The engine fired right up and sounded great, but the idle varied a bit and the Engine Management Malfunction light is on. Could I have missed a sensor or something. I changed the plugs, the air filter, and had to adjust 4 valves. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Engine Management Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:22 AM »
sounds like something is unplugged..if I had to guess I would say its the air temp sensor on the airbox ..its easy to miss

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
If you switched the bike on at any time during servicing with something unplugged, you'll get a light on. It should disappear after 3 start cycles

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
Do you have the Tigertool and cable? If so, you can check the DTC. The code will tell you what is wrong. 

Double and triple check the hoses. Also check the electrical connections just forward of the air box. Those can be a right paint to get back on. 

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
Excellent, thanks NiK!

Offline ydnar

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
 :002:Thank you all for the replies. I checked all the plugs and they were all in place then I finally figured out how to read the codes. The first P0460 was the fuel level sensor. I had put very little fuel in so I assume that will fix that. The other code is a P1698 which I cannot find listed. If anyone can help with that it would be great.

It would be nice to get it figured out before I put it all back together again. I do think I have a few days though, before the flood waters begin to recede around here.

Thanks again!! :087:

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
P1698 is described as "5V sensor supply malfunction"   Page 10.90 from the PDF service manual.   The diagram shows the MAP sensor, an Ambient Pressure Sensor, and a Fall Detection sensor all tied to the ECM through the same harness.

There is a description of which order to test pins to troubleshoot, but my first guess is you forgot to reconnect the MAP sensor to the airbox.  (Back of the airbox.  Think this is the one Crosshairs mentioned prior to this.)  If that is not it, then you need to recheck all the other connectors, assuming you disconnected them to get to valve covers.

Good luck.  I know when I checked my valves I forgot to connect something, but right now, I cannot remember which connector it was.  I think it was below the airbox cover, though. 
Dick63

Offline ydnar

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »
 :187:Well the MAP sensor and Ambient Pressure sensor were both connected correctly I'll pull the battery out tomorrow and check the Fall Detection sensor but I never did anything. I'll have to figure out a way to test the sensors. I hate to put it all back together without knowing they are good.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 03:38:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by ydnar [+]
:187:Well the MAP sensor and Ambient Pressure sensor were both connected correctly I'll pull the battery out tomorrow and check the Fall Detection sensor but I never did anything. I'll have to figure out a way to test the sensors. I hate to put it all back together without knowing they are good.
I would start by pulling all the connectors that you had originally pulled, inspect them and clean them and give that a bit of dielectric grease and reassemble and try it again. That is your most likely source of problems.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid