Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thought I had lost the bug  (Read 175 times)

Offline Lancstony

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Thought I had lost the bug
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
Hi all,

Just the general ramblings of someone bored at work.....

I thought I had lost the bug for biking recently, last year due to work commitments and other issues I didn't get out on the bike at all really, nothing of note other than a week in the Lakes in May, then obviously winter and Christmas arrived so the bike just stayed in the garage.

Then this weekend it was annual service time, as usual it was raining and I nearly postponed it, but something made me decide to sod it and ride over to the garage in Blackburn, its only 20 minutes each way from home so again wasn't anything amazing.

But, when I was riding home I genuinely didn't want to stop, just wanted to keep going and going and see where I ended up, the cold didn't bother me, fact it was raining didn't bother me, I was in my own world enjoying myself and it's only when I returned home and parked the bike back in the garage did I realise how much I have missed it.

All that just from a 20 minute ride over to the garage, I think the fact that when I was at the garage waiting for my bike to be finished I ended up chatting with random people and, apart from the riding I think it brought back the whole "community" thing of biking.

Has anyone else ever felt the same? where biking takes a backseat to everything and then you consider giving it all up, but just something like a short ride reminds you of why you ride?

So apart from rambling on here I am also getting plans in for lots of adventures and journeys this year, got to get some miles on the bike after missing out last year and I genuinely cant wait to get out there!

Cheers,

Tony

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
Re: Thought I had lost the bug
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
Yes and no.

There have been times in my life when riding, especially riding for the sheer joy of riding, had to be lower priority than other things.  Seems like my past summer was much like yours, for instance.

But I've never thought of giving it up.  (That is not an implied criticism, by the way.)   Seems I can separate what I must do from what I want to do without diminishing the want.

When I am away for a while, I do worry about proficiency, but I try to concentrate more when I finally get out.

Very happy you remain happy.

Dick63

Recent Topics

nonskid