Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fat Lad on a side stand  (Read 514 times)

Offline BIG BILL

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer Xc
Fat Lad on a side stand
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
HI all
I was wondering if anyone out there could answer this question.
: How much weight can a side stand and foot peg handle, I' am on the nearer end to 200kgs than I would like, Ok lets get the pie thingy and lose weight stuff out the way  :745:
With my full luggage on and a bit of Aurthur the itis in my knees find it hard getting my leg over "arf arf" and after a long stretch riding, my leg back over the panniers and box.
I have stood up on occasion to stretch while riding and pegs seem strong enough, but watching all of you young slim and fit explorers jump on the peg while on the side stand and fold your leg through got me thinking.

Ohh! it's a Gen 1 2014 Xc

Cheers BB
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:57:07 AM by BIG BILL »
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bloody thing (Barry Sheene)

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
Re: Fat Lad on a side stand
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
Well, I use the peg to get on, because a) I'm ancient and my hips are stiff; and b) with panniers on, I literally can't stretch over them, being only 30" inseam.

BUT, I have fitted the Lust lowering links and this has made the bike stand up straighter when on the side stand, so the strain on the side stand is not as great.

But also, I am 70kg-ish. OK, OK, a stone overweight, according to my wife, but built for comfort, not for speed.

I have tried, and succeeded, in getting on via the peg on the "wrong side". This feels weird but it is possible and puts little strain on the side stand because the weight goes onto the offside of the bike. It's a knack though. You have to lean right over the tank. But I'm not doing this regularly and not recommending it. Can be useful if you get in a jam when someone parks too close to you on the nearside, so it's good to know you can if you need to.

*Originally Posted by BIG BILL [+]
HI all
I was wondering if anyone out there could answer this question.
: How much weight can a side stand and foot peg handle, I' am on the nearer end to 200kgs than I would like, Ok lets get the pie thingy and lose weight stuff out the way  :745:
With my full luggage on and a bit of Aurthur the itis in my knees find it hard getting my leg over "arf arf" and after a long stretch riding, my leg back over the panniers and box.
I have stood up on occasion to stretch while riding and pegs seem strong enough, but watching all of you young slim and fit explorers jump on the peg while on the side stand and fold your leg through got me thinking.

Cheers BB
--------
If not now, when?

Online BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
Bill, you certainly live up to your nomenclature. I thought I was a lump at 118KGS but you take the biscuit, or 3 or 4 by the looks of it. (sorry Bill, I couldn't resist) I posed the same question regarding the side stand to my dealer who reliably informed me that it would hold my weight and more plus luggage. I'm on my 4th Explorer/Tiger 1200 and there's never been a hint of sag. I am confident the foot pegs will hold you and enough pies to complete a 14day European tour.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »
I did see a reply from Triumph somewhere that the side stand was rated to take the bike, full luggage allowance plus rider and pillion. I use mine to lean on all the time and I was the bloke in front of you at the pie shop.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
The caveat is that your bike had (if applicable) the gen1 warranty recall performed to replace the side stand bolt -- if your bike was affected -- check your VIN # with your dealer or the online Triumph lookup tool.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
Max load for your bike is 236Kg, impressive for a bike and not many match it so good choice for your weight.  :031:

Offline ngnlnv

• Explorer Junior
  • enjoy life it aint a practice.
  • Bike: Triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Wirral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »
Good post Big Bill, as I was wondering about the weight issue, more for the side stand. Although I can just get my leg over when on the side stand. I have missed the swing up so t speak and kicked the seat a few times. Not a good look when it takes two or three attempts. I'm 5'10 in old money and take my hat off to anyone smaller riding these tall bikes.
Once on board though, probably the most comfortable bike I've been on in a very long time.
Weighing in at about 105KG I guess I'm safe to use the side stand to mount, so thanks for raising the issue.
And thanks to all for the answers.

Live life to the max. H

Online moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
Bill,
I'm not a big lad myself (86kg) but to help on softer ground I fitted a foot to the side stand that helps spread the weight. Can't recall who made it but it certainly helps on sift ground so may help spread the weight a little on yours.

If I figure out where I got it I'll let you know.  :031:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
Possibly Motech.

I found that my bike leant much more than I was comfortable with. With the TSAS suspenders on the Gen 2 the bike changes height. So, the stand has to be able to accommodate different static heights. After a while, having standardised my settings, I added an extension machined out of HDPE to the bottom of the foot. A sort of orthopaedic appliance if you will.  The bike now stands straighter. OK at times I do have to make sure I part the right way round on a slope or the bike won't stand up, but that's quire rare. It just takes the load of the stand.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »
I use the Kappa (same as Givi) branded foot on my TEX. It adds about a 1/4 inch to the bottom of the side stand.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid