Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cleaning Fuel Spill  (Read 408 times)

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Cleaning Fuel Spill
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:28 PM »
I had an unfortunate fuel leak. 2017 Explorer, the fuel line under the tank, left side (as you sit on the bike), towards the rear. This should be the rear Fuel Transfer Pipe connection.

The small clip that holds the pipe to the tank was not installed correctly and the pipe slipped down. This led to fuel being sprayed about under the tank, around the throttle bodies, alternator, just everywhere. I cleaned as much as I could find, but it still smells. So I know there is more to clean.

I'm thinking if I remove the battery. Then use Simple Green, S100, or another good cleaner, then gently rinse everything I should be ok. I'll let everything dry for a day or two.

Thoughts?

BTW, this was not my doing. Both clips on that pipe were not installed correctly from the last time the dealer serviced the bike.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: Cleaning Fuel Spill
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:51:56 AM »
Have you got an air compressor? You could just get it outside & blow it off good, or even just let it sit. The gas will evaporate quickly. Wetting it down with any kind of cleaner will just slow down the evaporation process.
Jon

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:38:25 AM »
your idea of Simple Green or  S100 will work fine...spray it down good ,let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off ..the cleaners will take all of the petroleum with them when they rinse off.... you may need to do it twice if its loaded up good but there should be nothing left behind and no smell afterwards

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
your idea of Simple Green or  S100 will work fine...spray it down good ,let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off ..the cleaners will take all of the petroleum with them when they rinse off.... you may need to do it twice if its loaded up good but there should be nothing left behind and no smell afterwards

^^^^  All of this is TRUE, won't argue with it.

But that is because Simple Green and S100 are both degreasing cleaners, and using them on a "wide area basis" scares me.  When S100 was a new product, I accidentally degreased the steering head bearings of my Suzuki GS650 using it as directed.   (Since that was a "final cleaning" before putting it up for the winter, the steering head was wrecked.)

I would be careful of getting that stuff into where it doesn't belong, like, say, swing arm pivot bearings, and maybe considering regreasing when finished. 

Or try Jon's suggestion first, if you can.  It can't hurt, it can only help.

Dick63

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I discovered another culprit for the spill. When the fuel level sender was replaced in the tank, the seal was not placed correctly and was pinched. 

Great thought on the degreasing of parts not needing degreased.  I think water will be much safer. 

Recent Topics